The Sport Fury S/23: how many survived?

Reaction score
Looking for a "body" to rebuild my GT basket case, I started compiling any pictures and ads I could find on GT's and S/23's as a means of determining just how many may be left in the "public" forum.
I discovered that S/23's may not have survived as well as GT's even though the production numbers were nearly the same.
The membership will no doubt recognize the pictures I pulled from the "registry", and from the other commonly known sites. But, there are a few gems I found in little corners of the internet here and there that might not have been spotted by the keen eyes of the membership.
In all i found fewer than 30 cars as opposed to the 50+ GT's I found on line in the same searches.

Found on kijiji, for sale in Canada. Was sold and ended up in the registry

on kijiji in Can sold now in saskatchewan.jpg

That sounds about right, the S23 was a cheaper alternative to the GT and was sold with smaller engine options making it less desirable in later years. The S23 package really was only a dress up for the standard Sport Fury coupe. But who knows, maybe because less S23's have survived they may end up having a higher value? Probably not, but then again, predicting future values is more crystal ball stuff than anything guaranteed.

Can you more specific about what you are looking for? Literally the whole car or many pieces?

An S/23 that belonged to an ebay member I was buying parts from in 2012-13. I spotted it in a picture of something else he had sent me. He said it needed full roof replace. Fate unknown
belongs to an ebay member fate unknown.jpg

Hopefully as time goes on more come out of the woodwork but C-bodies in general don't have a great survival rate and you add in the low production numbers for the 1970 GT and S/23's there just aren't a lot of cars out there.

Think of the last time you seen a Sport Fury wagon....

Dave

Another factor I'd toss in is most people have never heard of a SF GT and way way less have heard of an S/23. That's meant as no insult to either car or anyone on the forum just that probably many eventual S/23 owners didn't recognize they had something and didn't treat them well and others didn't come along and save them as much as the C body devoted may have done for the GT.

Maybe I didn't say that very well but probably a lesser percentage of S/23 survived than the more known GTs AND less remembered them from their youth so also less interest in them being saved among the masses. As a result of all that even if their are way fewer the market price is probably always going to be lower.

For sale in "fern creek" (wherever that is) on CL in 2011. It appeared several times, never sold. Fate unknown. It was advertised by the seller as a sport fury but pictures he had up at the time revealed the black strobe stripe and S/23 decal when I studied them more closely. at least I think it was S23 and not GT?
Fern creek S23.jpg

Back