The story of my 1966 Polara, "El Cacharro", in several posts

Fishfan

Reaction score
Part 1: Finding the car

10 years ago, in April of 2004 a buddy and I decided we both liked the idea of buying an old car and restoring it. We had no idea what we were getting into. Our only criteria was that the car had to be a runner and it had to be cheap. After looking around in the different magazines and so forth I found a car on eBay that met our criteria. The car was up for auction. Here's the description from the eBay listing:

This '66 Polara captures the feel of 1960's car design. Especially the rear tail lights. It has a 318 v8 "poly" (polyspheric, or wide-block). The pistons are at a 120 degree angle, rather than the usual 90. I purchased this car from the Tampa Mopar Club who inherited it from a man who had owned it since 1968 (he also owned a '68 Polara). The car has some rot under hood on right hand side, in the rear quarters and by right rear door. It also has a crack in the dash.

The motor is smooth, but takes several cranks to get it going.

Damaged hood needs to be repaired before you can drive it on the highway. You can see in the pictures that the hood is not properly aligned. It has A/C, but does not work (maybe it needs to be charged).

The glass is in great shape, the interior is in pretty good shape, but the passenger side of the front bench has a tear. There is some replacement cloth in the trunk. The horn does not work. The car looks to have been painted in the recent past. It has some minor dings and scrapes. The mileage reads 41,391. I do not know if this is accurate.

The condition is pretty good for being 38 years old. It has brake drums so it does not stop like a modern car. It also has a slow leak of some fluid near the engine. There is no smoke out of the tailpipe.

Warning, the lugs on the left side are reverse threaded.

Here are the pictures that accompanied the listing.

66plra1.jpg

66plra5.jpg

66plra8.jpg

66plra9.jpg

66plra10.jpg

66plra11.jpg

66plra2.jpg

66plra3.jpg

66plra4.jpg

The curious thing was that back then when you listed an item on eBay your email address would appear in the ad. I noticed that the first initial and last name as it appeared on the seller's email address matched the name of a fraternity brother of mine. The car was in Tallahassee, where my fraternity brother was from. I reached out to the seller via email and sure enough it was my college friend.

We agreed to rig the auction so I'd win it (I'd put in an astronomical price to assure this) and he'd sell me and other buddy the car for $900. The auction ended I won it at $550. That should have been an omen. But I had made a deal for $900 and I was only on the hook for half so that's what we paid.

A point of note is that seller confessed that the reason the hood was so damaged was because after one overheating incident he forgot to fully close and latch it. The result was that when he reached highway speed the hood flew up. The torsion bars were destroyed and there was collateral damage to the hood itself. Luckily the windshield was spared.

Then we had to truck the car down to Miami from Tallahassee. That set us back $400

To be continued...

66plra1.jpg

66plra5.jpg

66plra8.jpg

66plra9.jpg

66plra10.jpg

66plra11.jpg

66plra2.jpg

66plra3.jpg

66plra4.jpg

Last edited:
Part 2: The arrival and the nickname

You can imagine the anticipation waiting for the truck to arrive. When it did I invited my friend and partner in the adventure over to see it and hopefully go for a joyride. My friend came with his wife and when she took one look at the car and said, "That's a Cacharro!"

Now a bit of explanation. My buddy and I are both Cuban-Americans. Our parents fled Cuba when Castro took over and turned it into a communist dictatorship. We're very patriotic Americans but our Cuban blood flows through our veins and Cuban slang flows from our lips. My friend's wife is also Cuban-American and so when she let loose with the word Cacharro we all laughed hysterically. In Spanish a Cacharro means an old pot or pan. It's used as slang to refer to things that are junky and old. In Cuba the vintage cars that are held together with rubber bands and chewing gum are referred to as Cacharros.

We took that joyride that night and thus began the saga of restoring El Cacharro.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Part 3: The work (and expenditures) begin

The first few items to take care of were basic. Oil and filter change, battery and battery cables, shocks, ignition coil, carb rebuild, spark plugs, starter motor (after I burned it out), radiator flush.

Once the car was running relatively smoothly and reliably I set my sights cosmetics. It should be noted that my friend and partner in the car quickly lost interest. He's still on the title but hasn't seen the car in years. He's my best friend since 7th grade and so I don't really have an issue with the fact that I've invested all the money unilaterally. He doesn't have any expectation of recovering any money from the car. In fact when I was thinking of selling it last year I told him that I wanted to pay him back his initial investment even though I'm way upside down in the car and he refused.

The car had some troubling rust areas plus the damaged hood. The rear glass had rust around it and was leaking. It was critical that the car get that much needed paint and body.

I need to give credit where credit is due. I was married at the time and my ex-wife's father is a car guy. He worked many years for AC Delco. He obtained many parts for me (sacrilege I know) and recommended many vendors. The body shop he recommended was Robert's Paint and Body in Miami. It was in a shady neighborhood and owned by a Peruvian gentleman. The claim to fame of Robert's was that he did all the work on NFL receiver Chad Johnson's (Ochocinco) restorations.

Now the original color listed on the title was "Turquoise" but Chrysler called the called it "Frost Turquoise Metallic" http://gunnars.net/c-body/img/1966_chrysler_colors_3.jpg

Well Robert unilaterally decided the car would now be Ford "Patrician Green." The truth is I didn't realize the color change until much later when I scrutinized the paperwork. In any case, my idea was never to do a concours restoration on this car (as evidenced by my willingness to use freely acquired GM parts from my father-in-law) so the Ford color was never a big deal to me. It's a pretty close match and, truth be told, the Ford color is nicer.

Here's some pictures of the car after paint and body work was completed.

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

Here's a 64 T-Bird in "Patrician Green" for comparison:

thunderbird196412745.jpg

Incidentally, he painted the roof a GM shade of white. So this car really is bastardized. Remember that expectations were low for this old Cacharro.

The hood was repaired, new torsion bars were acquired from a junkyard in Texas, all the rust was taken care of (some bubbles have come up in subsequent years) the rear glass was re-sealed.

All in all I was very happy with the paint and body work.

To be continued...

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

thunderbird196412745.jpg

Last edited:
Part 4: Tuck and Roll, The Saga Continues

I had owned the car for less than a year and I was obsessed. Everything looked great on the outside but still there was a lot of mechanical work to be done. Over the next few months I replaced the tires (white walls, of course), aligned the front end and replaced the idler arm, lower ball joints, strut rod bushings, tie rod ends, torsion bar bushings, upper ball joints, upper control arm bushings, and the rear spring shackle bushings. I was explaining to my father in-law that I felt the back end on the car was too low as the leaf springs were old and flattened out. He gave me a pair of AC Delco air shocks which I had installed.

In 2006 I did some work on the AC with a new dryer, expansion valve, and some electrical work. The AC has always been an issue and I think the source of some bigger electrical headaches, causing shorts in the car that led to at least two new alternators.

Also in 2006 I did the upholstery work at a local shop called De Colores. The original seats were cloth with vinyl trim. Modesto at De Colores did a masterful job in replacing the old cloth with a new white vinyl tuck and roll job and saving the existing trim. They also installed my new white headliner which was supposed to be made to order but required modifications and also my new carpets.

Here's some pictures of the new interior.

931348_10103581646822871_981966477_n.jpg

969430_10103581646832851_967391660_n.jpg

n_a-6.jpg

Note that the steering wheel was (and is) cracked. I wrapped it in this white leather which I later discarded. A decision I regret as I was never able to locate one that nice. Also notice the white trim below the windows. That was Modesto's idea to cover the faded and unsalvageable vinyl that was there.

More to come...

931348_10103581646822871_981966477_n.jpg

969430_10103581646832851_967391660_n.jpg

n_a-6.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that the 318 "Poly" engine has a "120° pistons". Bet Chrysler didn't know they made one like that ........

Interesting that the 318 "Poly" engine has a "120° pistons". Bet Chrysler didn't know they made one like that ........

What can I say? This is what the seller posted in his eBay listing. At that point I knew nothing of 318 Polys, A engines vs. LA engines, C-Bodies, etc.

Part 5: Some more history

One of the curious things about El Cacharro is its history. Fortunately I’ve been able to piece together a lot of it.

The original owners manual was still in the glove box when I got the car and there was a space on one of the pages that lists the dealership and original sale date.

10489949_10105445217322651_7051160296460308329_n.jpg

Don’t ask me how they typed this information onto the page without tearing it out. I just know that the vehicle was originally sold on February 28[SUP]th[/SUP] 1966 and the dealer was Thayer Motor Co. in Clearwater Florida.

The dealership hasn’t existed for a long time. I Googled it and found an old newspaper ad for the dealership’s service department from 1961.

Thayer.jpg

The address was listed and with the aid of Google street view I got this picture of the building. It definitely looks like a car dealership.

10557437_10105445254553041_8254847146206161622_n.jpg

I can easily envision the showroom filled with Darts, Coronets, Monacos and Polaras. I have an idea to take the car back to this place on February 28, 2016 for its 50[SUP]th[/SUP] “birthday” and take a picture.

It appears that after that original owner the car was sold to a man named Charles Hammond in 1968. Hammond owned the car until his death in October of 2001. Among the documentation I received with the car was a copy of Hammond’s death certificate. Creepy, huh?

Death Cert.jpg

The death certificate lists the family members and includes a Ralph A. Hammond of Bluffton Indiana, which I believe was Charles’s brother.

There was also a court order from the probate court that named Ralph as the personal representative of the estate. The death certificate says that Charles was never married. Draw your own conclusions.

court order.jpg

After some digging around I found out that Ralph died in December 2004. He apparently never married either: http://www.ancientfaces.com/person/ralph-a-hammond/78547614

The vehicle somehow became property of the “West Coast Mopar Club”. It’s unclear if Charles’ intention was to leave the car to the club or if Ralph sold it to the club. In any case, the car was sold again to my buddy from college on October 2, 2003.

img-819093202-0001.jpg

My college friend didn’t have the car long before selling it to me as I bought it from him on April 12, 2004.

Bill of Sale HG.jpg

So if I’m correct, I’m the fifth owner. Unknown original owner (1), Charles Hammond (2), West Coast Mopar Club (3), My college friend (4) and me (5). Technically I might be the sixth owner if Ralph ever had title to the car but I doubt it since he lived in Indiana. Apparently the car has been in Florida for all of it's 48 years.

Other things that came with the car were some maintenance records from the years immediately preceding my purchase. Charles kept the oil filter boxes and labeled them with the date and mileage.

img-819102851-0001.jpg

One of the service records was from when my college friend owned the vehicle. It was for replacing the driver side lugs, apparently breaking them after not realizing they were reversed threaded. Remember the warning from the eBay ad? It was from personal experience.

The mileage on the odometer when I bought the car in 2004 was 41,391. Of course there's no way of knowing whether it was 141,391 or 241,391, etc. I suspect it's only flipped the odometer once because I have an invoice for a flat repair from June of 1999 and the mileage written on it is 130,000.

At some point I replaced the odometer cluster but set the new one (bought from a junkyard) to the mileage from the one I was replacing. I've put about 11,000 miles on the car since I've owned it.

10489949_10105445217322651_7051160296460308329_n.jpg

Thayer.jpg

10557437_10105445254553041_8254847146206161622_n.jpg

Death Cert.jpg

court order.jpg

img-819093202-0001.jpg

Bill of Sale HG.jpg

img-819102851-0001.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding story and car history. Thanks for sharing it.

A point of note is that seller confessed that the reason the hood was so damaged was because after one overheating incident he forgot to fully close and latch it. The result was that when he reached highway speed the hood flew up. The torsion bars were destroyed and there was collateral damage to the hood itself. Luckily the windshield was spared.

Your car's hood incident is similar to one I had in the 70s. I was 17 and had a '66 4-door Dart. One day I got into a minor fender bender on the way home from school. The next day on the way to school the hood unlatched and went up (obviously the fender bender messed up the latch alignment). The rear points of the hood punched gaping holes in the cowl and got bent in the process. It wasn't a fun two days. Nope, not fun at all.

Reminds me of the time I was in one of those self service car washes in college in my brand new car. It was a manual shift and apparently I didn't employ the E-brake or leave it in gear. I was outside the car with the driver side door open when it started rolling back. The edge of the door caught the lip of one of the bricks on the wall of the carwash stall and it peeled it back like the lid on a can of sardines. Ouch.

Great story. You've done very well to trace that much of the car's ownership.

As to how the information was typed into the owner's manual, that's fairly easy. The owner's manual pages are long enough for the open end of the page to be fed into the typewriter to add that information, and then rolled back to remove it.

The easiest way to tell if the odometer had rolled over is to carefully check the alignment of all of the numeric wheels in it. If it has rolled over, the numbers will no longer line up precisely to one another. If they do, then I'd say it hasn't rolled over.

Part 6: Engine and Transmission

2007 was a very active year working on El Cacharro. With a lot of the interior and exterior elements looking good, it was time to focus on the heart of the car, the engine and transmission. By this time the car was leaking fluids from everywhere. Thank God I had one of those catch pans with the “kitty litter” from the auto parts store under the car otherwise my garage floor would have looked like a Jackson Pollack painting.

So I had the engine pulled and rebuilt as well as the transmission. I chromed the valve covers and added some other bling with the air cleaner, spark plug wires, etc. Here are some pictures of the engine right after the rebuild and, for comparison, the one from the eBay listing when I bought the car.

DSCN0206.jpg

DSCN0207.jpg

DSCN0208.jpg

66plra6.jpg

I bought an aluminum radiator and I’m ashamed to admit the damned thing is rigged up in there. The bottom opening is on the wrong side so I had to do a creative bit of rerouting. Also the shroud is held on with tie wraps. I read someone made a comment about Chevy guys using tie wraps in a radiator post elsewhere on the board and I laughed knowing I had sinned. I’m going to get right on that! On a related note this board has been a great help in that I’ve learned that issues like hot running engines in traffic and sub-par AC performance aren’t defects unique to my own car.

In addition to the engine and tranny rebuild I put in a new water pump, thermostat, distributor rotor, distributor cap, ignition wire, and carburetor. I also replaced the generic muffler with a Flowmaster. El Cacharro sounds like a muscle car but it’s all bark and no bite.

More to come...

DSCN0206.jpg

DSCN0207.jpg

DSCN0208.jpg

66plra6.jpg

Last edited:
Part 8: Hibernation

After the big expense of an engine and tranny rebuild, 2008 and 2009 saw mainly maintenance items being attended to. Brake shoes, battery, power steering pump. I burned out an alternator in what would become the bane of El Cacharro's existence. There was some sort of short somewhere in the car, I suspected the AC. I had replaced the voltage regulator and that didn't help. Without a viable charging system I would just take the car out for a short drive and the battery would wear down. I'd bring it home and charge it up. I went through a couple of alternators trying to figure it out and then...

My personal life got scrambled. I separated from my wife in 2009. It was a separation that lasted two years before the divorce was finalized. During the separation the car stayed in my former home (along with the ex). At one point she took all my clothes and all my things and put them in the trunk and seats of El Cacharro. Well, I suppose it's better than out on the street.

Needless to say I had bigger fish to fry than an old car. I didn't have the time, money or desire to keep working on it. When the divorce was finalized I moved the car to my mom's garage. Her Lexus went out in the driveway. There's no love like a mother's love, huh? The car pretty much sat for a couple of years with the occasional start of the engine and drive around the block.

Last summer I had the idea of selling El Cacharro as is. I listed it on Classic Car Trader and got zero interest. I was probably asking too much and besides my heart wasn't really into selling it. Here's some pics from the ad listing.

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

You'll note some differences like the air cleaner and oil filler cap. I haven't really settled on the air cleaner. I'm working on the original one, sanding it down to the original metal. I want to give it a coat of clear and see how that looks. Also you'll see that I have a modern stereo sitting in the glove box. Above it is the control unit for a satellite radio. There were factory cutouts for rear speakers but none were installed as the car came with a mono AM radio with a single speaker up front on the dash. So I installed a pair of speakers in the rear that work with the new stereo.

One of my favorite items is the package tray. There are very few good reproduction parts for 66 Polara's but this is one of them.

One of the things I get the most attention for is the Nixon-Agnew bumper sticker. I'm a political junkie and 1968 would have been the first presidential election after the car was built. I'm a Republican so there was no doubt I would have voted for Nixon had I been born and old enough. I found the actual sticker online for reference and then recreated it and had it printed by Cafe Press online.

Also, you may notice an emblem on the front grill. That's a Cuba emblem. As a '66, these cars never made it to Cuba but like I said I have that blood in my veins. The Cacharro front license plate is another expression of my Cubania.

Over time things in my personal life stabilized. I started dating someone, we eventually moved in together and I just remarried last November.

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

Last edited:
Back