#3.jpg
#4.jpg
#5.jpg
#6.jpg
#7.jpg
#8.jpg
#9.jpg
#10.jpg
Some board members said I should put my story out here. Hope you all don't mind....

UNRESTORED -1971 Chrysler 300 2-Door Hardtop Coupe 440 V-8 TorqueFlite

This 1971 Chrysler 300 was owned by our neighbor Joe Knapik. He bought this car brand new from Monicatti Chrysler Dealership on Feb. 1, 1971. Within the first month of having this car, he swapped out the original wheels for the aluminum wheels that are still on the car and he put the original hubcaps in the trunk where they still reside today. He also changed from a point’s ignition system that came with the car to the newer electronic ignition system available at this time. The original point’s system parts are also in the trunk with the hubcaps. He drove the car for a few short years and then put it in his garage and covered it. He only took the car out on certain days and only when the weather was nice.

We moved next door to Joe in November 1988. I noticed one day after moving next door that the garage door was opened and I saw a long car that was under a car cover and introduced myself. We got to talking about cars and hit it off. Joe was a classic car guy just like myself. He showed me what was under the cover and told me the history of the car. I told him he had a beautiful car and if he ever decides to sell it, that I would be very interested in buying the car.

As the years went by, Joe probably started up the Chrysler a couple of dozen times and drove it each time just to get it on the road. 1994 was the last time I saw Joe start up the Chrysler. Each year I would try to nudge Joe about taking his car to the shows with the rest of us from our neighborhood. We have 4 guys in our neighborhood that have 7 classic cars, but Joe would always decline and say that he would take it some other time or he would have some other excuse not to take it. Joe retired from TRW in 2006 and the car still just sat in the garage.

My great friend and neighbor Joe passed away in May 2016. Joe’s family approached me shortly after his passing and informed me that it was Joe’s wish that I receive the car. My wife and I smiled, we cried and sat down to reminisce all of the years we had with Joe at our fires, sitting in our garages with our cocktails and discussing cars, and all of our neighborhood ‘Thursday night garage nights’, in which we all helped each other working on one of our cars. Joe was our Supervisor.

In memory of Joe, we take the Chrysler to every event possible. He is always with us because we have his hat and glasses that he wore every day, (our sons used to call him Mr. Wilson) and they are now placed in the Chrysler looking out the rear window.

Thank you Joe

The Car

Body Style: Specification
2 – Door Hardtop Coupe V8
Six Passenger 440cid
Bucket Seats 4bbl carb
Console 3-Speed Auto
Triple Black Torqueflite
Vinyl Top 335hp @ 4,400rpm
AM / FM Radio 460ft/lbs @ 3,200rpm
Original Paint Weight Approx. – 4,314 lbs
PRODUCTION

List Price
$4,321.90

Mileage at 5/30/2016 – 15,517 original miles

Tires – The original Polyglass tires are still on the car including the original spare which has never been used.

Original parts replaced by me as of May 2016 :

Battery, Battery Tray, All Fluids, Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter, Gas Tank Sending Unit, Thermostat, Water Pump

View attachment 129268 View attachment 129269 View attachment 129270 View attachment 129271 View attachment 129272 View attachment 129273 View attachment 129274 View attachment 129275 View attachment 129276 View attachment 129277 Some board members said I should put my story out here. Hope you all don't mind....

UNRESTORED -1971 Chrysler 300 2-Door Hardtop Coupe 440 V-8 TorqueFlite

This 1971 Chrysler 300 was owned by our neighbor Joe Knapik. He bought this car brand new from Monicatti Chrysler Dealership on Feb. 1, 1971. Within the first month of having this car, he swapped out the original wheels for the aluminum wheels that are still on the car and he put the original hubcaps in the trunk where they still reside today. He also changed from a point’s ignition system that came with the car to the newer electronic ignition system available at this time. The original point’s system parts are also in the trunk with the hubcaps. He drove the car for a few short years and then put it in his garage and covered it. He only took the car out on certain days and only when the weather was nice.

We moved next door to Joe in November 1988. I noticed one day after moving next door that the garage door was opened and I saw a long car that was under a car cover and introduced myself. We got to talking about cars and hit it off. Joe was a classic car guy just like myself. He showed me what was under the cover and told me the history of the car. I told him he had a beautiful car and if he ever decides to sell it, that I would be very interested in buying the car.

As the years went by, Joe probably started up the Chrysler a couple of dozen times and drove it each time just to get it on the road. 1994 was the last time I saw Joe start up the Chrysler. Each year I would try to nudge Joe about taking his car to the shows with the rest of us from our neighborhood. We have 4 guys in our neighborhood that have 7 classic cars, but Joe would always decline and say that he would take it some other time or he would have some other excuse not to take it. Joe retired from TRW in 2006 and the car still just sat in the garage.

My great friend and neighbor Joe passed away in May 2016. Joe’s family approached me shortly after his passing and informed me that it was Joe’s wish that I receive the car. My wife and I smiled, we cried and sat down to reminisce all of the years we had with Joe at our fires, sitting in our garages with our cocktails and discussing cars, and all of our neighborhood ‘Thursday night garage nights’, in which we all helped each other working on one of our cars. Joe was our Supervisor.

In memory of Joe, we take the Chrysler to every event possible. He is always with us because we have his hat and glasses that he wore every day, (our sons used to call him Mr. Wilson) and they are now placed in the Chrysler looking out the rear window.

Thank you Joe

The Car

Body Style: Specification
2 – Door Hardtop Coupe V8
Six Passenger 440cid
Bucket Seats 4bbl carb
Console 3-Speed Auto
Triple Black Torqueflite
Vinyl Top 335hp @ 4,400rpm
AM / FM Radio 460ft/lbs @ 3,200rpm
Original Paint Weight Approx. – 4,314 lbs
PRODUCTION

List Price
$4,321.90

Mileage at 5/30/2016 – 15,517 original miles

Tires – The original Polyglass tires are still on the car including the original spare which has never been used.

Original parts replaced by me as of May 2016 :

Battery, Battery Tray, All Fluids, Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter, Gas Tank Sending Unit, Thermostat, Water Pump

MORE PICS OF 1971 Chrysler 300 Story

#11.jpg

#12.jpg

#13.jpg

#14.jpg

#15.jpg

Wow, man. Nice story. Sounds like he was a great guy. Keep her beautiful for him!

Beautiful car with a great story. Thanks for posting.

I told ya people here would like that story! I was gonna post it myself until I found out you were a member, then I didn't want to steal your thunder.

IMG_20170522_191634.jpg

Sorry for the loss of your friend and my hat is off to you for honoring him the way you do.:thumbsup:

The car looks wonderful.

Joe seems like he would have been wonderful to know.

My hat is off to you for being a true friend. All the years of sitting around and talking just being friends. That is how to live life.

Love a good car story, on the ownership history of the car. Yours is priceless, thanks for sharing.

A great story! A beautiful car!

Just a respectful note - please DON'T drive the car with those original polyglas tires - that's just an accident waiting to happen. Get some new repros if you want to keep the look the same.

It's just plain old safety.

You are very lucky to have such a friend. You will always have great memories every time you look at it.

Beautiful story!!!!

I think the hp for that 440 is 350 hp.

335 hp is 383 engine specs.

A great story! A beautiful car!

Just a respectful note - please DON'T drive the car with those original polyglas tires - that's just an accident waiting to happen. Get some new repros if you want to keep the look the same.

It's just plain old safety.

I am planning on getting new tires very shortly. That is why I have not driven more than 5 miles from home the 3 times its been out. Thanks again Ross

I am planning on getting new tires very shortly. That is why I have not driven more than 5 miles from home the 3 times its been out. Thanks again Ross

He heard the same from me in person, lol ;)

Hey, put up some Charger pics/story in the general section.

Back