The things I do....

thrashingcows

Reaction score
My eldest daughters boyfriend drives a rusty POS 96 Sonoma and delivers pizza so he needs his truck to run. Well being the helpful guy that I am, I'm constantly helping him keep the truck on the road. I spent 8 hours last night pulling his cat so we, or should I say I could replace the O2 sensor. Had to hack up the O2 sensor and cut the threads and chisel the remains out.

But man do I need an oxy/acc torch...would have saved me hours of work since the studs in the cat were rusty and had to be cut off, then I had to try and drill out the hardened studs for bolts. And why were there hardened steel studs in the flanges on the cat!!:mad: Anyway eventually got them mostly drilled out, but in the process I cooked my step drills and dulled at least a dozen drill bits, broke a few, etc.

He's an alright kid, wants to learn to work on vehicles and does not have a father figure in his life so I offer to help to not only keep him on the road making some money, out of trouble, and to also offer him a positive male role model to hopefully emulate.

My daughter has noticed a difference in his attitude and the way he deals with situations now so it's helping I guess.

He's an alright kid, wants to learn to work on vehicles and does not have a father figure in his life so I offer to help to not only keep him on the road making some money, out of trouble, and to also offer him a positive male role model to hopefully emulate.
My daughter has noticed a difference in his attitude and the way he deals with situations now so it's helping I guess.

If he's looking for a "role model" and a "Father figure", your doing a excellent job of providing it. Let's just hope it sinks in with him? Don't stop!

Good for you and for him!! Kids need someone to look up to, teach them well and be decent to them. Showing him perseverance and a good work ethic is awesome. Hats off to you, you'll both feel good about it. And your daughter has taken note, so that will strengthen your bond with her too.

Good work with giving him a father figure and teaching him how to work on cars. Might also want to show him how to clean and oil the shotgun you keep in case some guy ever gets one of your daughters knocked up.

Dave

Good job. Sounds like an opportunity to teach him some new words directed at inanimate objects. Old school profanity LOL :lol:

I have an ox/acy torch, but to be honest, i just use map gas most the time and usually works.

I think this had always been the case. Anyone willing to invest time without it being obvious.
I think it is more needed today. Parents are very busy, kids are easily entertained, and watched over without physical people, they are losing actual people as role models, replaced by A.I. or a you tube personality.

Good job. Sounds like an opportunity to teach him some new words directed at inanimate objects. Old school profanity LOL :lol:

Funny you say that, usually don't curse and swear but last night I was getting very frustrated and eventually I started dropping some serious curses and derogatory comments towards inanimate objects, he noticed and mentioned that the old trucker in me was starting to show. :p

I have a oxy/propane, little cheaper, gets the job done. It's works slow on thicker material, great on heating stuck nuts and bolts, or slicing off rusty bolts.

Had an oxy/propane back when I was just out of high school, and as you said not quite as quick but gets the job done. I was thinking about going that route again. I use the MAP gas to heat things cherry red and usually can get most things to break free with it but it does not cut, unless you can get a special head so you can cut with it?

Great job by you on being a mentor and role model. Too many young men today are without such good examples. Any time you spend with him, whether it is working on his truck or just talking to him will show him you are interested and care about him. That will mean a lot. Yes, your daughter will notice. You are also an example of the man your daughters will want when looking for a husband. If that don’t bring out the best in you nothing will. Lol. Again, great job by you! You ‘da man !

Back