The Wright stuff

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
With talk about Mid Century Modern houses I thought I'd post about my recent acquisition.

In 1964 my family was on vacation from Los Angeles to Nashville with a detour through St. Louis. I believe there was family to visit in St. Louis but my father being the Architect he was couldn't pass up seeing a Frank Lloyd Wright house. At the time the Theodore A. Pappas House was just finishing up construction, my father stopped and was able to see the house and talk with the owner. At the end of the day my father asked about getting a block or two, my mother said that if he could he would have loaded up the station wagon, he was free to take what he wanted from the scrap pile.

2016-05-27_001.jpg

2016-05-27_002.jpg

For years these were used under a 40x60 wood coffee table, as the years passed the top was put into storage which I acquired several years ago and built a new base to use it as a dining room table.

p4140025.jpg

I'll need to get a picture of the completed table.

Back to the house, of the six houses built with this modularized brick this was the only one to be tinted, the others were natural concrete.

0004.jpg

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

I now have the two blocks and again plan to use them for a coffee table but with a sheet of glass to show them off.

Alan

I see Matt drooling.

I first discovered FLW in the 70's and I have probably read everything ever written about him but remarkably.....

I have never toured even one of his houses or buildings. :BangHead:
:(

I first discovered FLW in the 70's

Me too Stan ... I saw documentary's on my local Public Broadcasting Station ... otherwise known as PBS out of St Louis.

Always loved his houses and furnishings ... he did the furniture too but I know you know that. Sharing for others :)

We toured the Pierce Arrow Museum in Buffalo last year. Besides all the cool Pierce Arrows, they had his Cord and they had built the service station that he had designed but never built. Really cool stuff.

Frank Lloyd Wright Filling Station

Wright is a Wisconsin boy. He is one of my favorite architect. Milwaukee is very rich with architecture in homes built from the Victorian age through the 1950's.

12963444_10153603984440885_5260419918567621805_n.jpg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I see Matt drooling.
You're correct, I would love to have those.

We have several FLW homes in the Detroit area, 1 is being cared for by Cranbrook schools and another by Lawrence Tech.

love me some FLW... following detmatt's lead, another one of Wright's Detroit area houses in my old neighborhood (lived there 20 years ago -- in another house, not the FLW house :)).

The Turkel House. Home

flw5.jpg

flw4.jpg

FLW1.jpg
flw2.jpg

Last edited:
love me some FLW... following detmatt's lead, another one of Wright's Detroit area houses in my old neighborhood (lived there 20 years ago -- in another house, not the FLW house :)).

The Turkel House. Home
The Turkel House is another house built with this system, it is unique in having the 2' high blocks. The blocks are dry set with the rebar vertical and horizontal in place then grouted after, there is no mortar between the blocks.

Alan

Recently in going through some old family pictures I found some pictures of the house from the trip where my father got the blocks in 1964.
Pappas_House_1c.jpg

Pappas_House_2c.jpg

Pappas_House_3c.jpg

The house was clearly under construction at the time.

My father at Taliesin West in 1963, I didn't even know about this trip till I found this picture. He is 23 in this picture.
Dad_Taliesin_June_1963.jpg

Alan

Back