Theoretical question (glovebox)

SPF Required

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace a glovebox liner without pulling the dash apart? I have done no other research on this yet, figured I’d ask here first.

Thanks!

p.s. this is in a ‘68 300.

Yes, it can be done. I did mine a while back.

Last edited:
Most glove boxes will collapse a little to allow both removal or installation. One needs to be gentle with them. Even a new one will crack and break if you are not attentive to installation.

Mine (1970) is in two pieces, but not sure about 1968. Remove the screws and box light and the top comes out first, then the bottom. Comes out the opening of the glove box door.

Remove the glove box door so that you don't break it by (unthinkingly) leaning your forearms on it as you wrestle the old box out and the new one in, and to give you some room to work.

Thanks for all the quick feedback! And especially the advice on removing the door.

Ordered a replacement liner and will keep you posted.

thanks!

The repop is not as flexible as the original.
Wedging it in place can be a pain.
As mentioned have the door off.
I did mine when i still had the seats out. (Easier on the old worn out back)
If you have a little helper, once you have it in place he or she can jam in a screw to keep it in place.
Hope this helps.

The repop is not as flexible as the original. Wedging it in place can be a pain.

If you have a little helper, once you have it in place he or she can jam in a screw to keep it in place.
Hope this helps.

Yes, the repop is not nearly as flexible as the old, flimsy, worn-out original. But it's robust, and as we've discussed, you can bend it and fold it and angle it in there with no damage.

And yes indeed, getting the screws properly into the reinforced screw holes in the box is a real pain. Make note [take pics] of where things are [meaning what overlaps what] before you remove the old one, and go slowly with the new one. Having an awl to line up the holes is a must. So is having a stubby Phillips screwdriver.

And back to that glovebox door.....if there is any plastic to it, it will be brittle so be gentle.

Lookie what came in the mail today!

DF0333B2-4D1D-4C8A-980E-652EFFA9E194.jpeg

The material seems to be much more improved than what is currently installed…. But then again, what’s in there now is over 50 years old. The new one is like a plastic coated card/fiber board. Seems very strong. Excited about this new project.

Out with the old:

47C1D663-9289-45A1-8132-1EE5C5F3FAFE.jpeg

91CAEFBB-F695-4C20-8440-39CABB4DF4E0.jpeg

In with the new!

A29BFBD9-DC64-442D-8DA0-83EBAE6E3961.jpeg

E9C9E184-6B87-4281-9A3C-90B6D1483672.jpeg

It was definitely a little more effort than I would have thought, and I had to push and flex that new liner a lot more than I was comfortable with. But all in all I am happy with the result.

Aside for the potential damage risk to the glove box door, I think it would have been impossible to install the new liner without removing the door first. And the door latch at the top of the opening needs to be removed too. In my case I needed to get some penetrating oil on those threads.

Last edited:
Back