Thermoquad tuning

thethee

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2021
Messages
913
Reaction score
991
Location
Netherlands
Thanks John, you've been a great help.

That being said I'm gonna get a new distributor. This with the air gap and pickup has made me distrust my current one a bit. Might not be necessary but will give me more peace of mind.
 

thethee

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2021
Messages
913
Reaction score
991
Location
Netherlands
Update time.

Got my new distributor this week and as predicted initially I was not really impressed, that's what you pay for I guess. However, when I took it apart all the components seemed a lot tighter and the pickup didn't wobble as much as my old one. Was able to add a washer from the old distributor between the collar and the housing of the new distributor so there is next to no vertical shaft play. Checked and cleaned the spark plug wires and although there is some variation in resistance, they are all good. Also tried the water spray check and no sparks.

Timing still jumps around a bit, although I think it does it less, but I will look into that shaft collar some people mentioned (I doubt my local auto parts store will know what I will be talking about). Set the timing around 15 degrees BTDC and adjusted the mixture for highest vacuum. It seems to run better now. Road test will have to wait because I first need to get it through the vehicle safety inspections.

Thanks again for the help.
 

thethee

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2021
Messages
913
Reaction score
991
Location
Netherlands
Neither my local hardware stores nor auto parts store had anything close but after I found the right search terms in Dutch was able to find a 1/2" shaft collar. Came today. Can't wait to try it tomorrow
 

thethee

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2021
Messages
913
Reaction score
991
Location
Netherlands
That could have been bad.

Put the lock collar on the distributor and tried to put the distributor in the engine. Was a bit fiddly cause now I can't really see the shaft lining up with the slot in the drive gear. Then there was a faint *clunk* sound, oh damn. I had made sure it was tight enough that it wouldn't slide off, but I must've knocked it loose somehow cause there it was, lying on the cam gear. Luckily I had my trusty magnet on a stick and all was good. Crisis averted. Will let the loctite cure for about 24 hours so I'll be back with the results tomorrow!

By now it would be fitting to change the title of the thread to "tuning my 440" seeing it no longer has much to do with the TQ.. Oh well :D
 
Last edited:
Top