Thermostat Housing

rexus31

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the Thermostat Housing with the A/C Compressor in place? I've got a sticky thermostat and need to swap it out.

I don't know what motor your running (assume BB), but I never remove the A/C comp when I've changed t-stat in my 383, never did with my 440's either. Found ways to work around that with tools.

I don't know what motor your running (assume BB), but I never remove the A/C comp when I've changed t-stat in my 383, never did with my 440's either. Found ways to work around that with tools.

Yes, 383. Cool, that's all I needed to know. Thanks!

Not on a big block Formal ('78 NYB). I can can get one bolt out and the compressor has to come off to get to the bolt nearest the driver side.

I don't know what you guys are doing, but I've done it more times than I can count....dry as a bone...AND no stripped bolt heads. That got to be a SERIOUS pain in the *** to remove that compressor. Must be a formal thing.

Argh! What a PITA!

Yep.......one would figure by 1978, Chrysler would of moved the compressor a 1/4" to the left and you would be able to swap out the thermostat in 15 minutes.

I don't know what you guys are doing, but I've done it more times than I can count....dry as a bone...AND no stripped bolt heads. That got to be a SERIOUS pain in the *** to remove that compressor. Must be a formal thing.

What tool(s) did you use to get the left bolt out? Box wrench?

Yep......and that damn compressor is not light!

Yep.......one would figure by 1978, Chrysler would of moved the compressor a 1/4" to the left and you would be able to swap out the thermostat in 15 minutes.
YES! That all it would have taken. 1/4 stinking inch to the left. But no. They had to make it a two hour job.

YES! That all it would have taken. 1/4 stinking inch to the left. But no. They had to make it a two hour job.

That still pisses me off......makes me think Chrysler positioned the compressor there on purpose! LOL!!!

The blueprint made it look like it would work.
Unfortunately, it was a new draftsman assigned to it and the protractor slipped...

The blueprint made it look like it would work.
Unfortunately, it was a new draftsman assigned to it and the protractor slipped...

New draftsman says.....

"Watch this.....they'll be bitching about this compressor positioning for decades!!!"

I did it many times on my 76 NY. I'd take the hose off and use a swivel socket and off it goes.

Back