Thermostat suggestions

Senator Leahy

Reaction score
Having a small overheating issue. Got a new Engineered Cooling aluminum radiator, took the thermostat housing off and pulled the thermostat, and like a fool I didn't test it when I had it out of the car. I'm really hoping the problem is as simple as this although it won't be that simple considering I'm gonna have to pull the a/c compressor off again to get at the thermostat.

What other troubleshooting procedures can I go thru to find the problem? Like I said its a small overheat. Car has only been running in idle in the driveway for 10 minutes at the most then I start to notice steam coming off the radiator.

Thanks guys

Does your fan have a clutch? If it does do you feel resistance in it? Or does it freewheel? A bad fan clutch at low speeds can cause a temp to spike. I've also had bad radiator caps not hold pressure and cause the temp to increase.

I still have to put the fan shroud on and I was wondering if there's some kind of spacer I can get the fan a little closer to the radiator?

fan shroud will make a big difference and more than likely eliminate yer issue...why folks run without them is just asking for issues...fan shrouds serve a purpose and are a integral part of the cooling system..leave them the heck alone....
have also had bad "NEW" thermostats
personaly would swap out clutch fan as well...thier cheap and do wear out

No. It should have resistance hot, or cold.

x2

right preasure rad cap also important......

also been following over heating issues with the BB and have come to a personal opinion that most of the aftermarket waterpumps don't flow as well as the OEM pumps...seems the oem ones have a better lower idle flow rate due to desighn over the aftermarket ones...just way to many folks having heating issues with the big blocks and aftermarket pumps...anyway just the way lve been leaning with my build....will send my oem pump out to be rebuilt.

Pricey but probably worth it.
Which one, Scott?

Ytjw7Ql.jpg

Found out the culprit. Wrong radiator cap. Put the 16psi back on that the radiator came with. Took Harold for a spin, no visible steam. Harold was the original owner, found paperwork, dealer card, and stuff from Travis Airforce Base even parking stickers still on the car. So that's what I named my 65 Yorker. Thanks for the help guys. Still gonna put the fan shroud on as soon as I can get some brackets welded up. Putting up a video of my cruise in a bit. Will post the link.

The thermal clutch is tighter in traffic, and in the city to produce more airflow. Once out on the highway the air flow from the road helps cool the engine, And the clutch allows the fan to freewheel on the highway. That's the best way i know how to explain it. I'am using a hayden heavy duty thermal clutch on my 68 fury with a 440.

And on the fan clutch, which is better and why...
Thermal or non-thermal, cost aside.

Back