Thermostatic fan on 1965 Monaco

Matt62

Reaction score
When I bought my 1965 Monaco with factory 413 and A/C, it has a thermostatic fan. I wonder if it's original or not. Thanks !

It has holes. So thermostatic fans do exist as factory equipment in 1965 ?

There were TWO types of thermostatic fan clutches. The earlier ones, from the earlier '60s which were rpm-limited, with no thermostatic spring on the front cover. Later, the thermostatic-type with the spring on the front to modulate when the fan operates or free-wheels. By '65, they should have all been the spring type with a/c.

Mopar Perf used to sell and OEM-spec fan clutch and fan kit. Would not fit the '63-4 cars due to it having the '65+ shaft length. The fan was a more modern 7-blade, as I recall. Pricing was very "right", too! Not resto-correct for all cars, but was a good deal.

As these OEM-type thermostatic fan clutches depend upon the temp of the air coming through the radiator "to work", if the radiator becomes clogged internally and the air through it is more ambient rather than engine temp, the thermostatic spring will not let the fan clutch engage (as the temp needle rises). So a "clean" radiator is important, inside and out.

CBODY67

When I bought my 1965 Monaco with factory 413 and A/C, it has a thermostatic fan. I wonder if it's original or not. Thanks !
Yes from factory AC cars came with a fan shroud (metal 2 piece) and clutch fan or thermostatic whichever you want to call it.
You do have the correct set up.
Not knowing the car's history there is a chance the clutch may have been replaced.

Back