Things you never say on a radio (military)

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
The military speaks in what's called the phonetic alphabet, especially on a radio. If you simply say the alphabet, letters like a, b, c, d, e, g, j, k, t, v, and z all sound alike. Cops and maintainers have their own versions, too.

Aircrew = A= Alpha.
Cops = A = Adam
Maintenance = A = Able
Canadians = A = Eh?

WTF..... over.

No lustrous Air Force career for me. 12 months as a radio operator with a mechanized infantry recon platoon in Viet Nam. We had special radio chatter for the mosquitos and ants. Can't repeat it here, classified.

Last edited:
My favorite is when I was working data links. The guy on the ground didn't know dick, and we needed to call on-station. He was an idiot. My boss said "I got the radio!". His call to the ground was "Say again, you're coming in stupid, over" Silence.

Then the one star on the ground gets on the radio, our mission crew commander cuts off my boss and says "I got it!". The one-star tells us he'll "meet us when we land" and "discuss things"...

Ten hours later, there he was with his little entourage of minions. It was a very, very long day...!

The military speaks in what's called the phonetic alphabet, especially on a radio. If you simply say the alphabet, letters like a, b, c, d, e, g, j, k, t, v, and z all sound alike. Cops and maintainers have their own versions, too.

Aircrew = A= Alpha.
Cops = A = Adam
Maintenance = A = Able
Canadians = A = Eh?
BOHICA

BUFF

AFU

NFG

My favorite was a guy I worked with got a call for a redball (aircraft down need a fix now) Reply
In a few I am taking a ****!:rofl:

Maintenance commander- When your freshened up come see me!

Last edited:
WTF..... over.

No lustrous Air Force career for me. 12 months as a radio operator with a mechanized infantry recon platoon in Viet Nam. We had special radio chatter for the mosquitos and ants. Can't repeat it here, classified.
I joined as a kid in 1980. Some of the stuff that went out over the net during dry fire missions was legendary. The most famous was “ FIRE MISSION - ice cream truck in the impact area children dismounting!!! That earned a big WTF .....over and much laughing. col Gordon was pissed but nobody ever fessed up. Nobody really got in big trouble for stupid stuff like that back then because we were so understaffed after the war they were just happy to have us around. I still use WTF....over almost every day as working in the heavy equipment industry out in the field it can seem like a big military operation a lot of the time.

Back