Think I found the issue - Dying ICM

jstaples2

Reaction score
After battling some strange issues I think I narrowed it down to a bad/dying ignition control module.

Symptoms:
Car started to intermittently die (after about 5-10 minutes of run time). There's nothing that will make you mess your pants like having the engine die at 60 mph. At night. Anyway, I went through all the connections and cleaned the grounds up real nice. I was getting current at the coil, but no spark at the plugs. The ballast resistor measured fine. I could get the car to fire up only after I pulled the pig tail out of the ICM and reseated it. I ran a wire brush over the contacts there thinking corrosion set in, but the car would only run for 5 minutes before petering out. I didn't dare drive it anywhere farther than I could push it back home.

I found a few other similar threads from a few other forums and it sounded like the ICM was dying or dead. I went ahead and bought and installed new ICM and boy I should have done that a while back. The car roars to life now. Previously I'd have to crank, crank and she'd catch after a bit. Now she fires up like she's supposed to.

Thought I'd post here in case anyone else is experiencing similar gremlins. If you have electronic ignition... check the ICM.

I had one go bad on my Blue 71 at Carlisle four years ago.... It acted up there on the grounds for a few days. Then went bad on the way home. Fortunately, dad had a new one hed just bought in the trunk

When they first came out in the 70's the service manager at the dealership would send us out with a can of freon R12. Give the ICM a blast and the car would start right up.It was a quick check.We replaced Many ICM's in the first year.That and Voltage regulators too.

Back