NOT MINE This is not mine. 1968 Chrysler Imperial convertible.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice car, but was there such a package.

Used Chrysler Imperials for Sale by Owners and Dealers | Kijiji Autos Classifieds
s-l640.jpg

Here’s the text from the ad which contains an interesting remark about a gold package? It is amazing to me how many ‘68s I’ve seen with hood ornaments that aren’t supposed to be there.
Asking $29,900 Cdn.

Very rare-only 474 convertibles made & fewer with Gold Package [gold lettering, crown emblem, hood ornament, interior trim, wheel cover spokes]. 31,000 miles. Immaculate condtn. Chrome perfect. No stone chips on hood or windshield. Non-smoking car-4 clean ashtrays unused. Owners Manual. 440V8 350 hp, 3 speed Torqueflite auto, 4 Bbl Holley Carb, dual exhaust with chrome pipes. PS, PDB, PW, 6 way Bucket PS, P Antenna, P top. Tinted windshield, self seeking AM radio with rear speaker, clock, emergency flashers, 6 lap belts, turn signals on top of front fenders. AC needs refit from R12, clock not working. Improvements-Electronic Ignition, 10V Coil replaced with 12V Coil to bypass Resistor. Orig. parts retained ie. points, coil.
Replacements-PS Pressure Line, Voltage Regulator, Starter, . All new fluids in 2015. All new fan belts installed Aug 1/19. Never driven in rain or winter. 4th Owner.
Longest day trip 350 mi. Hamilton to Cornwall @ 75-80 mph. Best mileage 19.6 mpg on Cd. Tire gas.

"Gold Packages" were popular on Cadillacs. Purely dealer-installed items (or by trim shops which specialized in such things), as in the 1970s. Actually, a "brass color" than real gold, as I recall. In later times, it's just a liquid which is brushed over the chrome items desired to be "gold". Although there might have been some factory "gold-tone" exterior nameplates as standard equipment?

Might the "gallons" being used be "metric gallons", which are larger than "USA gallons", which would mean more miles/gallon?

Looks to be a nice car, hope it finds a grand home!
CBODY67

The only factory gold tone 68 trim items are the Eagles in the centre of the steering wheel and wheel covers.

There never was a factory gold edition...somebody visited a plating shop along the way and went nuts adding accents they thought would make it look better. Probably when the hood ornament was added. I don't like the effect, myself.

Here’s the text from the ad which contains an interesting remark about a gold package? It is amazing to me how many ‘68s I’ve seen with hood ornaments that aren’t supposed to be there.
Asking $29,900 Cdn.

. Hamilton to Cornwall @ 75-80 mph. Best mileage 19.6 mpg on Cd. Tire gas.

I rather doubt any '68 Imperial is getting 19+ mpg....

Some people have more bull $hit than a damn cow pasture...
And this is one of them peeps... !!!

Last edited:
@RED71 is this your car?
If so show me something that substantiate there was ever a "Gold package" on any Imperial
or there is some way to make a 1967 gas engine in a car that weighs over 5000 pounds(us)
get 19+ mpg..

I get 18mpg regularly on the highway in my '66 Imperial, without a problem. 12-13 in town, though. Best ever was 19.7 mpg on the turnpike, doing an average of 80 mph. Oh, yeah, top down, too!

That's a fact. Believe it or not, I care not.

"19.6 mpg on Cd. Tire gas" I'm not sure what this means for sure, but "Canadian Tire" sells gas here in Canada, and confusion still exists when calculating fuel milage- US gallon, Imperial gallon and liter. Confusion between gallons and liters led to the emergency landing of an Air Canada DC-10 at Gimli, Manitoba some years ago. LC

"19.6 mpg on Cd. Tire gas" I'm not sure what this means for sure, but "Canadian Tire" sells gas here in Canada, and confusion still exists when calculating fuel milage- US gallon, Imperial gallon and liter. Confusion between gallons and liters led to the emergency landing of an Air Canada DC-10 at Gimli, Manitoba some years ago. LC
Also here in Ontario Canadian tire and Shell are the only ones still selling real ethanol free gasoline.

Back