This is where your big-block came from...

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My return flight from Florida landed on an unusually clear day last week. I looked out the window and noticed an island in the Detroit river known as "Grosse Isle". It's quite a beautiful island actually, pretty much all residential. I think it's one of those best-kept secret things about the area. Anyway, just outside the island is the city of Trenton, MI. (Also quite nice... reminds me of my own city, but SW rather than NE of Detroit.)

I located one of the two bridges to the island and that puts you right next to both Trenton engine plants (North, 1952; South 2010). The newer plant can be distinguished by the light color roof. That plant has been building Pentastar V6 engines since it was constructed. The older plant built Gen I hemis, big blocks and /6 engines. Later it built 2.2L and the mid 90s V6 families. I think it now builds some of the 2.0L "GMET4" engines, but I'm not certain. It is still in use regardless.

IMG_20181110_093226.png

IMG_20181103_100125.jpg

IMG_20181103_100156.jpg

IMG_20181103_100433_hdr.jpg

Very cool!

I had a great time in Detroit visiting Matt with my brother when he was still alive a few years ago. Cruising Woodward and the Chrysler Museum on the 2nd last day it was open to the public.

The old plant, (originally scheduled for demolition), produces parts for the phoenix V6 when the production plan in Mexico was cancelled.

Wish the Gen 3 hemis came from Trenton North rather than Saltillo Mexico.

Talk about unamerican! **** you: Robert Eaton, Bob Lutz, and Mercedes Benz!

Back