Throttle issue with carboretor

Reaction score
I'm sure this is an easy fix but I couldn't find any info on how to correct. 413 with demon carb.

The "throttle bracket" squeaks and isn't smooth at all and causes a bad gas pedal feel. Is this s spring issue, lube issue?

Any help would be REALLY helpful, thanks guys.

20190716_070511.jpg

Isolate the problem by disconnecting the linkage at the carb. Move the throttle plate to see if you can simulate the problem. Move the linkage and see if it is there.

Hard to tell, but it looks like the return spring is rubbing the linkage. Chrysler has the spring at the top, and anchoring towards the front of the engine. try moving the spring and see if it feels better.

Thanks for the reply guys!

Sorry, to clarify the "bad feel"
When I push the gas pedal it's not smooth at all, it doesn't stick but it gets a little hard to push at about half throttle

Hard to tell, but it looks like the return spring is rubbing the linkage. Chrysler has the spring at the top, and anchoring towards the front of the engine. try moving the spring and see if it feels better.

And expanding on that great piece of advice, the linkage to the transmission doesn't look right to me at all. I would bet that there's some binding plus it looks like it's moving the wrong direction. That needs to be corrected as it modulates line pressure etc. for the trans. Not good for transmission life at all. Bet you are having shifting problems too.

Honestly haven't driven it enough to tell if there is shifting problems yet, I goes into every gear solid without issue though(just bought the car about 2 months ago)

But yeah the previous owner might have screwed some things up, I've always ran lokar linkage and will probably upgrade to that on this car as well

Took another look at it. To me it looks like the linkage was bent to make it fit which could give it a hard feel as it goes over center. Also I agree on the kickdown and don't see it in the pic. If you don’t have it hooked up the tranny won’t last.
You may have to straighten and shorten the rod.

I can't tell with that dam hose in the way! More & better pics would help give me a better idea of what's up. But right off the bat that current spring needs to go! Good Luck

Auto, I mean I've driven it like 15 mph, so I guess that means it wouldnt shift gears if I actually drive it on the highway or around town?
NO IT WILL NOT SHIFT CORRECTLY. If you drive it long enough you WILL toast the transmission. It looks like you might be able to use the Edelbrock adapter on the Demon carb, and get it all straightened out. BUT DO IT VERY SOON.

Auto, I mean I've driven it like 15 mph, so I guess that means it wouldnt shift gears if I actually drive it on the highway or around town?
It will shift fine at easy acceleration. The kickdown linkage is there really for two reasons. First of all it will downshift the transmission to a lower gear under heavy acceleration. Secondly it raises the internal pressure of the trans when accelerating or under load. This is a design feature to prevent slippage inside the tranny. That is why the trans will fail without this linkage. Hopefully this makes sense.

If the same guy that did the return spring and throttle linkage rebuilt it I wouldn't be confident either

Haha, right. Well luckily I bought this as a project, its nothing that needs to get on the road soon.

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone know a part number for the lokar throttle and kickdown linkage? Huge fan of them. I've used them on my 318 dart and 350 nova(but it's been years)

Back