Throttle linkage

Andrew

Reaction score
Today I went to hook up my throttle linkage and came to the conclusion something is missing? Could someone please post a picture or diagram of what I’m missing. That would be awesome!! Car is a 62 Chrysler New Yorker wagon, also am I in the right forum or do I need to be in the other one with my 62? Thanks

Pics

320FF8FE-287B-4639-BDF8-485407110B0B.jpeg

36DC66A4-8518-47C3-BCD7-9AC32B68B716.jpeg

BE75A6CD-7990-425E-9769-0A8EAB3F98C4.jpeg

Andrew

Your linkage is all there. It connects via the ball stud on the carb linkage and the ball socket on the end of the throttle linkage rod, the thing is spring loaded and will clip over the ball and stay attached via spring tension.. The throttle spring attaches to the small hole in the carb linkage just below and to the rear of the ball stud. Some after market carbs do no have the small hole for the spring. You can either drill the small hole or hook your throttle spring up to the round part of the ball stud between the throttle rod and the linkage plate. Check your clearance to be sure the spring does not rub on the throttle rod.

Dave

Last edited:
This probably sounds ridiculous, but the throttle linkage moves opposite of the carb if that makes sense? When you push the pedal it pulls the linkage opposite of the carb. Maybe I just have the wrong linkage on the used carb I bought?

Thanks guys. I think I found my problem. My carb is date coded 65 if I remember right. The linkage looks different than this carb I found a picture of. Mine pulls from the top and it looks like it’s supposed to pull from the bottom.

A7824EFA-9A71-425C-A672-389608F499C1.jpeg

Thanks guys. I think I found my problem. My carb is date coded 65 if I remember right. The linkage looks different than this carb I found a picture of. Mine pulls from the top and it looks like it’s supposed to pull from the bottom.

View attachment 162577

If you still have your original carb, you should be able to switch the throttle plate and then have it opening in the right direction.

Dave

I don’t. It didn’t have one when I bought it

Maybe somebody on the site has the correct carb that they would be willing to work some kind of trade. Suggest you ask. A lot of us on this site have the pack-rat gene.

Dave

I love the pack rat gene! Unfortunately mine nest is Sweptline truck stuff. I will probably just make something

I love the pack rat gene! Unfortunately mine nest is Sweptline truck stuff. I will probably just make something

I've never tried this but you might be able to grind the weld off your carb and flip the linkage plate 180 degrees and re-weld it. Need to check if the clock would be right before doing that. Would need to be real careful with the re-weld as the carb base is pot metal and can not take much heat.

Dave

That was my exact plan, was but I think I might just build a bracket then bolt if through the current linkage.

Your linkage push's when you depress the gas pedal. the carb you show needs to "pull" to open.
I would locate a 61/62 or earlier carb. Otherwise your kick down wont operate correctly and you risk damaging the trans.

DSC04253.JPG

Back