Tied up in spaghettiland!

Binky1945

Reaction score
1973 Plymouth Fury 2, 440, four door sedan. Looks like it takes a # SMP24529DG headlight wiring harness for a # Q628TY replacement headlight switch.

Regardless of whether these numbers are correct to your files lets say that I do believe them to be correct for my purposes.

I have looked high and low for a correct specific wiring diagram and cannot find one.

I have a complete vehicle wiring schematic, but I have great difficulty following the tracings. I also have the big blue '73 Mopar book but neither have been of much help to me.

Does anyone out there have access to a specific area of the vehicle schematic that plainly shows which of these eight color coded/striped wires goes to from the switch ?

Also, which is the main (hot wire) color that feeds power to all these locations and where in the heck does it connect and draw it’s current from in the first place.

I have completely lost the use of my outer headlight sealed beams, and there seems to be an ongoing failure of sorts that is also affecting the lever controller turn signals and four-way flashers.

And yes, I will probably be replacing the turn signal harness assembly as well. I have a stock # AM-10537151 located for it. I would really appreciate a specific diagram of sorts for it as well since none of these re-suppliers include any sort of installation schematics with their products. Thank you, Jim Dent

The source of the part numbers you are quoting? Just curious.

BEFORE you start seeking things to replace, you might first investigage the integrity of the connections in the bulkhead connector on the lh lower cowl area. Then also check for the integrity of the wiring harness grounds at each side of the front light harness. Look for an extra wire on each of the headlight wiring groups, that will go to an eyelet-end that attaches to the body sheetmetal nearby.

In the FSM wiring schematic, find the headlight switch and then trace EACH of the wires attaching to it, to see where they might end up. One will lead to a power wire which probably junctions to other harnesses, for example. It can take some time and careful attention, but from my experiences, it's all in there. Including the front lamp harness grounds.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

1666541351728.png

A dimmer switch issue?
No I don't believe so, inboard lower beams are cut out out of the lighting circuit and are utilized as alternately flashing blue sealed beams. Outer high beams were working fine as primary driving lights and did dim when the floor dimmer switch was activated. Had the best of both worlds until I had to pull the dashboard down to replace odometer cable and seemed like problems began then and there. Problem did/has affected the lever controlled turn signals as well. Thanks for input though. Jim

BEFORE you start seeking things to replace, you might first investigage the integrity of the connections in the bulkhead connector on the lh lower cowl area. Then also check for the integrity of the wiring harness grounds at each side of the front light harness. Look for an extra wire on each of the headlight wiring groups, that will go to an eyelet-end that attaches to the body sheetmetal nearby.

In the FSM wiring schematic, find the headlight switch and then trace EACH of the wires attaching to it, to see where they might end up. One will lead to a power wire which probably junctions to other harnesses, for example. It can take some time and careful attention, but from my experiences, it's all in there. Including the front lamp harness grounds.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67
Yes, you are correct. I have had problems with this car before where the under hood harness mates up with the interior cabin harness. I did check and found nothing loose but I will check the connections there again. Will also look for loose or disconnected headlight wiring grounds again. Define FSM manual. I have a complete wiring guide to the car but it hasn't helped much. Not real good at tracing the wires in this manner from the chart I have and I cannot find any specific information in the big, thick blue '73 body manual. Thank you for your input, Jim

If the otherwise-low beams are being used for flashing lights, which is not OEM production, then there should be a controller somewhere for this law enforcement sort of upfitting. A controller which plugs into the factory forward light harness and then re-purposes the headlights as desired, I suspect.

The FSM "chassis manual" has the factory wiring schematics in it. The "body manual" would be more about what the "Body" section of the earlier FSMs had in it? Like how to shoot sealer into the drip rail pinchweld area, check the body/chassis for correct squareness, and similar?

Just a suspicion . . .
CBODY67

Thank you, Jim

Just my experiences,
CBODY67
I did so again and nothing suspicious , broken or loose found.

Back