Tilt / Tel steering Column

68 4spd Fury

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience working on the Tilt / Telescope Steering Column in a 68? In mine, the left turn won't lock, (tab must be broken). I've looked in the FSM and it seems to require a variety of special tools. I know, on years prior to 69 I think, they were GM/Saginaw units so parts should be available. It's not a big problem holding the lever down, (until I have to let go to shift), so if it's a total pain I'll live with it.

I can pretty much guarantee that the switch is broken, so there's really no reason to take it apart unless you want to spend $200 for a new switch. I took one apart about 10 years ago, and it was no big deal if my memory serves me correctly.

Jeff

These turn signal switches need to be re-popped. Mine is shot too.
I can't even find a replacement.

Arizona Parts did have some in stock. You would have to look up the part number and check his inventory.

On the "normal", as in 1970s GM/Saginaw columns, here's what cancels the turn signals.

On the back circular extension of the "cancelling cam", which also has the horn contact ring on it, on that conical extension, there are two raised columns on the outside, reasonably close together. On the turn signal switch, there are two circular-wound springs, which index with the item the turn signal level screws into. There is a "L" spring and a "R" spring, they are mirror images of each other, color-coded, AND are not interchangeable, side to side. Or top to bottom, on the switch.

It's those springs which cancel the turn signal AND also make that "click" sound.

On a GM/Saginaw tilt column, it is possible to reassemble it with the upper section 180 degrees "out", so mark the sections where the pivot is (a white plastic "sphere"). Otherwise, the blind spline in the upper column, where the steering wheel mounts, will be on the bottom and the steering wheel will be upside down. It'll also make the signals not cancel correctly, when they are supposed to, rather than when they should.

On the other hand, do NOT presume that just because Chrysler used GMSaginaw as their steering column supplier that what's inside of them is "GM". It might be similar, but NOT exactly as Chrysler had their own specs they were built to. The tilt column on my '80 Newport looks just like what's in a similar Caprice, on the outside, but the guts are different. Nothing interchanges in the way of switches and such.

In my '66 Chrysler service manual, when I was reading it about 40 years ago, I recall that in the tilt-a-scope column, it mentioned that the actual switch was run by a Bowden cable, with the switch at the bottom of the column? I believe that the earlier GM/Saginaw columns were similar, using a cable to activate the turn signal switch?

I would suspect that although the particular parts might be customized for Chrysler, how they assemble would be similar to the GM columns?

You might be able to find a Buick or Cadillac service manual online somewhere? The "later" columns had all of the electrics just under the steering wheel, as a non-tile column did. The later ones are the ones I have more knowledge of.

CBODY67

This will give you a starting point:

Forums / General Tech / '67 Chrysler Tilt-o-Scope turn signal switch w/cornering lights - C-Body DryDock

The pics are gone but there's good links and text info.

I can retrieve the pics from my old laptop if needed.

The turn signal switch is Tilt-O-Scope specific, available from Shee-Mar for $105 or so. I bought two of them about 3-4 years ago.

I waited awhile for them to produce a batch.

The most difficult part was removing the trim collar to gain access to the switch.

I made my own "slide hammer" tool out of scrap metal parts.

The Shee-Mar switch needed some altering to work, the shaft that the T/S lever screws into is not included has to be transferred from the original switch.

Hope the input helps.

John

Good tip, I'll take a look. It'll be winter project at least.

Forums / General Tech / '67 Chrysler Tilt-o-Scope turn signal switch w/cornering lights - C-Body DryDock

The turn signal switch is Tilt-O-Scope specific, available from Shee-Mar for $105 or so. I bought two of them about 3-4 years ago.

The most difficult part was removing the trim collar to gain access to the switch.

The Shee-Mar switch needed some altering to work, the shaft that the T/S lever screws into is not included has to be transferred from the original switch.

Hope the input helps.

John[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Hope the input helps.

John[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Back