Time Delay Relay

Analog Kid

Reaction score
So I notice on my car that the ignition key light and another light above the headlight switch stays on all the time. I did some research (thanks to this site) and found that there is supposed to be a time delay relay that controls these lights.

Should I now assume that this relay is bad? Is it possible that it has failed in the closed position and not the open?

Also - how hard is it to get to this relay to replace it?

Thanks

might just be hooked up wrong. it should be powered with the door jamb switches so that when you open your door the lights come on. new relays are on ebay from time to time.

It isn't really a relay. It's a little round silver thing less than an inch in diameter and about 1 1/2 inch long. It gets a ground from the driver side door jamb switch that makes one of those 'bi-metalic' strips get hot and supply power to the key light. When it cools off (after door closes-removes ground), it is supposed to disconnect. Yours is probably stuck or the wire from the door jamb switch is shorted to ground. It is generally supposed to give you a 15-25 second 'delay' (light stays on for that amount of time-delaying turn off).

Here is what they look like I have a couple in a drawer. On my 69 fury it was to the left of my speedo taped to some other interior light wires . It was a pain to get at. Had to go in from beside steering column and straight up As far as I could reach . Napa sells them as well
5EF0ED22-C8C1-4AA9-AF3F-8BFEAE8B5980.jpeg
A0C72669-A0AB-4979-A4D3-F8EB9E9941F0.jpeg
E39940D7-530E-4B24-B811-412BDEF0424F.jpeg

Last edited:
Back