Time for Paint!

Clay Harrison

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So.. Looking for some help locating the Turquoise engine paint for my 66 Chrysler motor. I assume several of you have used this color. Dealership or Duplicolor?

This is the powder coat color I'm using on the valve covers, intake, water pump, etc.

turquoise.jpg

I like the Duplicolor engine paints but I can't vouch for the authenticity of the color. But, will a shade or two off make a difference? Bet it didn't back when the factory sprayed it 50+ years ago.

Several years ago when I did the 440 Chrysler parts still stocked the correct paint. In my case however the builder used Chrysler blue by mistake. No a biggie for me since my 68 Monaco 500 is an assemblage of about 4 different vehicles.

love the color her is my 68 440 just painted it with mopar paint
0106191716a.jpg

more pictures to come working on getting in the car soon
1126181705a.jpg

This is the powder coat color I'm using on the valve covers, intake, water pump, etc.

Clay - what is the source/color code on that powdercoat you used?
I have as short-term source for near-free powdercaoting, so I bought this turquoise that looked like it could be a match (based on my PC monitor, anyway).
It is a little bit light, the turquoise from Mopar Performance is a bit darker.

Did you end up getting some turq paint, how well did it match to your powdercoat?

1641758492353.png

Here's a comparison pic. The powder looks close enough on its own until it is compared.
I cannot do an entire engine, so spraycan will be required, therefore the color match is not close enough.
1641760020665.png

FF I don't know the code for the powder coat color but it matched pretty good with the Hirsch Turquoise. You can see the difference in the photo but it's not visible to the naked eye.... I believe the metal type also makes a difference.

motor 1.JPG

Yeah, that's a better match than what I got.
I am wondering if a guy could throw some black in slowly and mix with a spatula to get a good match.
then I wonder how much the color changes when baked.
I haven't fully investigated, but the few places I've looked have no references to color-matching.

Keep in mind. A few heat cycles will effect the shade of the engine paint, no matter what brand you use. It will darken just a bit.

Back