Time to replace shocks - recommend?

Brakes, Suspension, Rims and Tires

1. Verse

Verse Member

It is time to replace the shock absorbers on my 1966 Newport with the standard suspension. I did a lot of reading on this forum and looked at the KYB site. Much of the info is a few years old so may need an update.
    I am looking for a smoothest and softest ride possible on gravel and bumpy roads, which to me sounds like a low pressure gas monotube shock.
    What in your opinion would be the best choice?

2. Ripinator

Ripinator Senior Member

The KYBs are great. I have them installed on my '66 300 coupe and my '66 300 convertible. The ride is very good and very well controlled. I highly recommend the KYBs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BigblueC

BigblueC Senior Member

A lot of that will be dictated by your wheel/tire combo. A taller sidewall and lower tire pressure will provide a softer ride.

For shocks, I also recommend KYB gas-a-just. I wanted a slightly firmer than standard shock and these fit the bill perfectly. They are by no means firm/harsh, but they aren't "floaty" like a old non-gas shock.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Verse

Verse Member

Sounds like the KYB is still a valid choice. Thanks guys!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CBODY67

CBODY67 Old Man with a Hat

I have read good things about KYBs for years. At this time, almost all normal shocks will have been "low gas pressure", mainly to reduce fluid foaming internally, for about a decade or so. It;s not specifically this low gas pressure that might improve the normal ride/handling performance, but the shock's internal valving, as always. But any gas pressure will help push teh wheel "down" for better tire/road contact at all times, which is a plus and can give the car a more stable feel on rougher roads.

As mentioned, tire pressure and tire choice make a difference, too. I like to run my tire pressures 32/30, f/r, for a firmer ride and sharper turn-in performance. TWO things which Chrysler suspensions are known for. Plus better equalizing f/r tire wear, by observation. Adjusting tire pressure to reflect the greater percentage of the weight on the front end vs. the rear end and the factory recommendations.

Actually, from what I discovered in the Chry parts book, there are 3 different suspension calibrations. The "base"/std would be the basic 383 car without factory a/c. When factory a/c is ordered, the HD front torsion bars are added to supporrt the added weight of the a/c items, but with the normal front shocks. When the HD suspension is ordered, that kicks in the HD rear leaf springs and HD shocks. There were "High Control" shock abs options, which were usually normal 1" bore shocks with stiffer internal valving as there was a HD Shock option that used something like the HD Monroe Super 500 shocks with larger rear pistons.

My '66 Newport has the factory a/c suspension, to which we added full HD Chrysler (parts) shocks many years ago. Works fine, especially with my tire pressure tweaks. They are still on the car, decades later.

In modern times, the KYBs seem to be the best option.

CBODY67

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  6. Snotty

Snotty Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

I have KYBs on the front, and over-load shocks on the back.

7. Turboomni

Turboomni Old Man with a Hat

I have KYB Gas Adjust all the way round on my 69 Fury to replace the rather new standard [cheap] shocks. Don't remember the brand but the car felt like it was a large boat. I think the smaller/lighter the car like A bodies the firmer the ride with KYBs. I had this concern about harsh ride but it wasn't warranted because I was and am very happy with the ride. The KYBs have to deal with more weight with our cars and the ride is not harsh in the least and rid the car of floating around. Rough roads it still has that torsion bar famous ride but with more control. If interested look for specials and get a good deal. Mine were made in Japan not China, a different reality in quality. Just my experience. Thumbs up!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Newport 66

Newport 66 Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Perfect timing for this thread. I need shocks on big red. Guess I'm headed for the KYB aisle...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gerald Morris

Gerald Morris Senior Member

I love the KYB gas mono-piston shocks I bought for my 66 last year. I use Monroe load levelers in the rear as I run around with an easy quarter ton in the trunk on these barrio trails I drive on. KYB makes the best shock I've ever bought. Go with them.

10. cbarge

cbarge World Famous Barge in a Budget FCBO Gold Member

KYB on both the Newport and Fury.

11. furious70

furious70 Well-Known Member

Original post would indicate monorematics to me, they'll be softer. Wallowing even

12. Scott 440 TNT

Scott 440 TNT Member

I've used KYB's on other cars that weighed about 1,000 lbs less than a c-body. The KYB's are a little stiffer than standard so I've changed over to Bilstiens. I prefer the smoother ride and they are less bouncy, worth the extra money.