Timing advance for 1968 Fury III

machinehead

Reaction score
I just put the accell points elimin in my dist., and am trying to check my timing. Where should it be set? I havnt done much with timing, but i have a light; and a decent understanding. But not sure of the recommended setting. I have a Edelb 600, edelb intake, accell super coil, and have the timing pretty much dead center of the eye of the timing tab. Car still has a miss at low to mid rpms. Cant hear it at idle, and it goes away as you get in it.
Thanks for any help.

Ok, I'll look in my buddy's chiltons tonight when he gets off work.

I am going to guess somewhere around 10*btdc

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. May i ask one more, as im a timing novice. Is the tab on the harmonic balancer marked 2.5?

If my memory serves me, when I looked earlier at the figure it showed it had 10-5-0-5-10 marked. I won't be able to look again until next week. Sturgis her we come.

most good timing lights have a dial you can set to what u want and then you are reading 0 on the balancer. makes it fool proof or u can use a timing tape around the balancer. these usually read 60 degrees either way from tdc.

I agree. 10 deg BTDC (or more). More advance is generally better until you get knock.

BTW, you can take a knock sensor off a GM V-8 (TBI trucks 85-95) and use as an indicator. It screws in your block drain plug. The module (on GM intake or firewall) has 1 wire output you could wire to an LED to show knock, or send to a computer like Holley Commander 950 to adjust timing.

If you get tired of playing w/ points, there is a nice HEI distributor for ~$45 on ebay (skipwhite and others) for the 318 and 440, not 383. Run an E-core coil with it and lose your ballast.

Back