Timing chain/Sprocket ????

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Anyone care to suggest a good timing chain/sprocket gear set up...have good experience with any particular brand??? Getting ready to pull heads off my 383 for a valve job and since I'm there I'm going to replace stock factory cam with the P44552783 piece. Don't have much experience in purchasing/replacing timing chain/sprocket sets so it might be nice to know what manufacturer makes the most reliable pieces...and no that's not my motor, just thru it in for representational purposes. Thanks for sharing.

440 motor 11.jpg

Anyone care to suggest a good timing chain/sprocket gear set up...have good experience with any particular brand??? Getting ready to pull heads off my 383 for a valve job and since I'm there I'm going to replace stock factory cam with the P44552783 piece. Don't have much experience in purchasing/replacing timing chain/sprocket sets so it might be nice to know what manufacturer makes the most reliable pieces...and no that's not my motor, just thru it in for representational purposes. Thanks for sharing.

I use Federal-Mogal double rollerchain and gears. Anything is better than the nylon coated gears from the factory! What where they thinking? :mad_6:

I use Federal-Mogal double rollerchain and gears. Anything is better than the nylon coated gears from the factory! What where they thinking? :mad_6:

goodneighbour, thanks for the reply. So I can replace the factory stock 383 setup with the double roller timing chain?? Will that work with a single bolt camshaft (#P4452783)or does that not matter ?? Oh btw - I'm having trouble finding the aforementioned cam (#P4452783), has it been discontinued at the factory? I bought one of these years ago and had no trouble finding it. Thanks

Back