White lettering out?

• Yes, looks great

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No, black it out

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

RagTop66

Reaction score
Hi everyone, putting new treads on my Polara next week and decided to go with the cooper cobras, mainly because of bang for my buck. My other tires have plenty of tread, but they’re super old (2005). Pic below

What I’m trying to decide is if I want the white lettering out or in?!? If appreciate it if some members would share some pictures of their cars with either white lettering out or black walls. Thanks in advance!!!

241E6DDA-B576-407D-A975-A7A1DA22B38D.jpeg

06A0065E-DDE0-4857-86C8-481A53254F8D.jpeg

White letters or white walls, turned in always struck me as "wrong", respectfully. Plus, the backside of the tire always had all of that extra stuff on them that was not really meant to be exposed to the light of day.

Although blackwall tires came to be "Euro" in look, when those cars were new, they were the standard tire, which meant "inexpensive". BTAIM Which is why you saw so many whitewalls as they were upscale.

White letters are supposed to imply "sporty".

Just my thoughts . . . yours might vary,
CBODY67

I really think the white letter look should be reserved for C bodies made for the 1969 model year and up. 65 through 68 C bodies benefit from the more "refined" look at the narrow white wall.

Just my opinion!

Remember the Magnum 500 wheels were out a few years before white letter tires came along. Usually with whitewalls, white line or red line tires. Back then blackwalls were seen as “taxi cab” tires.
22F0FF6C-073F-4ABE-8DC8-5DF6D240890A.jpeg

I’m still an original equipment guy.
225/70x15 with a 3/4 white wall.

I prefer white walls, but I think white letters look good on a coupe or convertible. I think black walls look good with dog dish hubcaps on a Fury I or II. Once you go to a more upscale model with wheel covers or road wheels…no black walls. But of course you should make the choice, it’s your car and $.

In the end it’s what ever you like.
Wheels and tires are easy to change.
IF, I were to go non-stock I would get those aluminum 17” imitation Magnum 500 wheels and keep all my original stuff with the car. I like that look on a slab side C.

Thanks everyone! I think I’m going to go with the white letters out because it will be different from what I have now. Like someone said, I can always go back to black walls if I want to.

I’ll be sure to share the pics next week when I get my new tires on.

Thanks everyone! I think I’m going to go with the white letters out because it will be different from what I have now. Like someone said, I can always go back to black walls if I want to.

I’ll be sure to share the pics next week when I get my new tires on.

I'm a letter out kinda guy...

20160813_111719.jpg

I’ll run black walls until I have money to blow on a quality Redline Radial.

73299A87-7184-4F4C-88A8-6956115CF1FE.jpeg

AFD5D73E-B2F1-4058-8E3B-AF96C9483216.jpeg

Best wheel/tire combo you could throw at a ‘69 Plymouth. In my humble opinion.

Back