Tire Pressure Sensors for 2008 T & C

Analog Kid

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows about these tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS).

Long story short....my wife's mini-van (2008 Chrysler Town and Country) needed a tire stem replaced. The threaded part was broken and since we are taking a 900 mile trip to Florida tomorrow I thought it best to get it replaced. (See pic of old stem).

I took the van to the shop and had them replace the stem along with a tire rotation but when I picked it up the system was warning me that the tire where the old stem was - is only showing 1 PSI. The tire where the new stem is now at is showing good at 38 PSI. So are the other three tires. However the mechanic explained to me that I needed to replace the other three stems in order to make the system right. Not sure why? The only thing he would tell me is that it was not allowing him to reset it. - ??? I don't know...it was after 5pm and I could tell he wanted to go home.

Does anyone know of a way for me to fix this or is he right - do I really need to replace the remaining three stems to get rid of this warning message.

IMG_2606.JPG

Try pulling the fuse from the PCM (or the TPMS if there is a seperate fuse) and let it sit for at least 1/2 hour. That should put the system in learning mode so it can find the new component. You could also try deleting the code if you have a code reader, this will get rid of the error code without losing your saved driving habits info. I would try deleting the code first. Unless he installed a non standard stem, the system should be able to find it. FYI Tire jocks usually are not exactly wizards a resetting codes.

Dave

Last edited:
Try pulling the fuse from the PCM and let it sit for at least 1/2 hour. That should put the system in learning mode so it can find the new component. You could also try deleting the code if you have a code reader, this will get rid of the error code without losing your saved driving habits info. I would try deleting the code first.

Dave
I am wondering if anyone knows about these tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS).

Long story short....my wife's mini-van (2008 Chrysler Town and Country) needed a tire stem replaced. The threaded part was broken and since we are taking a 900 mile trip to Florida tomorrow I thought it best to get it replaced. (See pic of old stem).

I took the van to the shop and had them replace the stem along with a tire rotation but when I picked it up the system was warning me that the tire where the old stem was - is only showing 1 PSI. The tire where the new stem is now at is showing good at 38 PSI. So are the other three tires. However the mechanic explained to me that I needed to replace the other three stems in order to make the system right. Not sure why? The only thing he would tell me is that it was not allowing him to reset it. - ??? I don't know...it was after 5pm and I could tell he wanted to go home.

Does anyone know of a way for me to fix this or is he right - do I really need to replace the remaining three stems to get rid of this warning message.

View attachment 193131

The stem has a sensor and a small transmitter built into it. Either the PCM or a Seperate TPMS box looks for a signal at a certain frequency to identify the component and the tire pressure. This system has had a lot of issues as the sensors are frequently damaged by kissing curbs or in the tire changing process or just the vibration and shock factors of driving the vehicle over chuck holes etc. Your local auto zone will sell you a code reader for about $65 which is a lot cheaper than replacing the other 3 stems.

Dave

If the sensor and stem are one piece, then you got a full sensor on that wheel. The "Car" doesn't recognize it, so the low or no pressure warning light should be on.

There should be a routine in the Driver's Info Center to reset the sensors, I believe? IF there is, rather than need a scan tool, with driving time it will recognize the sensors, their locations, and then the readings should be accurate. Check your owner's manual about "tire rotation" and "TPS System. It might take 25 or more miles of driving on the highway to do it without a scan tool.

In the mean time, verify the tire pressure manually with a normal pressure gauge. Let the TPS system do its thing, if it will.

The earlier valve stems were made into the sensor. Later ones have stems which can be replaced separately from the sensor. I believe most work on the same frequency. So aftermarkets can work in the same place as OEMs, typically. Might be more important that the sensor fits the contours of the inside of the rim.

Have a nice and safe trip!

CBODY67

Most of your average code readers can't access the TPMS codes, they aren't stored in the PCM. They are in their own module. You don't need the other three sensors. The one was only changed because the stem was broke, not because the TPMS light was on, right? The other three don't just go bad because you change one. I question if he used the correct sensor. He should be able to retrain the sensors to the van. Go back and have them get it right.

Chances Are He Did not Program The New Sensor You have To Rewrite the ID of The New Sensor over The Old one. If He Put A Dealer Sensor in It the TPMS on The Car Usaully picks it up after Driving it. Snap Ons TPMS3 Has Finally come Out with Being able To Program Clone Sensors Pulling Fuses Does Nothing. I Have Finally Got These Down To A science To Fix. It Cost a Good Bit $$$$$$ to get There

My 02 300m all you had to do was retrain sensors. Set up retraining on your menu and start at usually the left front. Wave a magnet around the valve stem, after horn beep, follow to whatever wheel it wants you to do next, horn will beep when it recognizes it. Your system may be different but except for older GM and Toyota they are not as bad as people claim to be.
Get a new mechanic if his answer was you have to buy more.

@Two 67's is correct if its a Mopar OEM the TPMS will pick it up usually after 20 min of drive time. If aftermarket you need the handheld module (like the snapon) to “excite” the sensor to transmit.

There might be a reason to buy OEM, but to me, it seems as if it's more about a sensor ID being at a particular wheel's sensor pickup location, which is over-written into a module memory for that location. In that case, aftermarkets will be fine, if desired. Most are on a particular OEM-specified frequency and if you get one from the aftermarket, it should be the same frequency for your particular application as the OEM sensor was. Seems like there are only about three frequencies which cover the bulk of USA-sold vehicles?

When our GM techs do tire rotations, we can always tell by the horn beeps coming from the Quick Lube area.

One problem with the OEM sensors is that they don't fit the backs of some aftermarket wheels, in which case the system must be deactivated.

CBODY67

BF3846BC-5E7B-4AB3-8661-68AC0C847E06.jpeg
Well I drove over 700 miles to Florida and it didn’t correct itself. According to the manual the module will pick up the sensors after a period of continuous driving. That didn’t happen. Now the one in question just shows a dash as if it doesn’t even see a sensor.

If these sensors have to be told which wheel they are at then my theory is that the system is picking up all the old sensors but not the new one. Even though the tires were rotated and the old sensors are now in new positions the computer thinks they are still at the old positions. Hence it can’t find the sensor at the left rear tire since it was removed.

Thanks for all the replies. Driving with the warning constantly on is annoying but I will have to live with it while on this trip. When I get home I will dig into this deeper and see what can be done. At the least I will try and get a better explanation from the mechanic who did the work since all I understood through his broken English was that I needed to replace the other three.

View attachment 193385 Well I drove over 700 miles to Florida and it didn’t correct itself. According to the manual the module will pick up the sensors after a period of continuous driving. That didn’t happen. Now the one in question just shows a dash as if it doesn’t even see a sensor.

If these sensors have to be told which wheel they are at then my theory is that the system is picking up all the old sensors but not the new one. Even though the tires were rotated and the old sensors are now in new positions the computer thinks they are still at the old positions. Hence it can’t find the sensor at the left rear tire since it was removed.

Thanks for all the replies. Driving with the warning constantly on is annoying but I will have to live with it while on this trip. When I get home I will dig into this deeper and see what can be done. At the least I will try and get a better explanation from the mechanic who did the work since all I understood through his broken English was that I needed to replace the other three.

That might be the first clue that he is "clueless" as to how the system works.

Dave

Did you go into the routine "Reset Sensors" or just desire the vehicle to reset itself?

CBODY67

I think the aftermarket TPMS they installed is incompatible with your Van. What is happening is the the TPM is seeing only 3 sensors so its assuming the 4th is not present or defective as it knows you have 4 wheels. OEM is likely the only fix or 3 other aftermarket TPMS then the scantool to register them with the TPM. Your local Dodge Dealer should be able to solve the problem in short order.

If it can't recognize a sensor, it will put "- -" for that wheel position. It will only recognize what it's programmed to recognize.

CBODY67

Just want to let everyone know I finally got this situation resolved. Fairly inexpensively too...

I figured that the sensor the shop put in with the new valve stem was not matching up with the other sensors. So I went online to try and find the OEM sensor but instead found that I could replace just the valve stem itself. Cost was $10.95

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WGRJ8AI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Removal requires a small torx screwdriver and possibly - reading glasses.

IMG_3241.JPG

Finding someone to remount the sensor was a bit of a hassle since the closest place to me wouldn't do it. They claimed they couldn't work on customer provided parts - ???
So I then went to NTB and they did it for $35.

Sure enough the sensor that was removed was a 315MHz unit and not a 433MHz like the OEM ones. That was the problem all along.

Now my wife can drive the van without the annoying TPMS warnings.

Back