To paint or not to paint?

SXArnold

Reaction score
I have a previous thread regarding my '67 Chrysler New Yorker with seeming 18K original miles. It had a respray to a different shade of white, much brighter. The car is obviously never going to be a $50K collector car but do I drop the $8K for a Persian white respray?
IMG_0722.jpg

I wouldn't drop 8 grand for new paint for that car. No way No how. Nice car but if your dead set on new paint you can get it done much cheaper..looks like it may just need a good buff

I have a previous thread regarding my '67 Chrysler New Yorker with seeming 18K original miles. It had a respray to a different shade of white, much brighter. The car is obviously never going to be a $50K collector car but do I drop the $8K for a Persian white respray?
View attachment 72302
8 k should get you the roof pillar vinyl repairs, minor body repairs if any need to be done and an outstanding paint job complete with inner door jambs and a rebuff later on.

If I liked the car a lot and since it was already sprayed once I would do everything I could to make it nice, 8 grand 20 grand, doesnt matter, its what I want

OR!! go for the Patina look, Buff out the current paint and spend some cash on Roof / Pillar vinyl repairs. Like some others have said, If she's a keeper, then do what makes you happy. If she's not a keeper, then spending SOME cash on those areas would assist on Resale.

Only thought in my mind was it must have been a cheap thick paint job and they want to remove the old paint before applying anything new.

I had 3 estimates from $15k - $20k to paint my 78 NYB.

She is a daily driver now....

I had 3 estimates from $15k - $20k to paint my 78 NYB.

She is a daily driver now....

Wow... I know there is a lot of real estate to cover on your NYB... but I would love if the local paint pro's would speak to these prices... did I miss something?

$5k just to fix this accident from the off shore driver....said he had to paint the hood, door, etc, to make it match. Maybe that would be reasonable if Chris told me it would cost that much.

DSC03418.JPG

Did this guy tell you this with a straight face?

$5k just for that little damage? He really didn't want to work on it did he?

$5k just to fix this accident from the off shore driver....said he had to paint the hood, door, etc, to make it match. Maybe that would be reasonable if Chris told me it would cost that much.

I have to guess there is A##hole tax of some sort thrown in because its old and uncommon... but those prices seem a bit crazy to me.

Maybe Stan will share his insights, he did paint not that long ago.

This guy has called me a dozen times trying to ink in an appointment. I had tell him flat out that I WILL NOT have him paint my car.

I painted my 66 15 years ago and I spent over $2K just for materials. That was with DuPont Centari and all DuPont prep under it. Base/clear would have cost more. Sanding discs, tape and masking paper, all brand name stuff too. Not cheap.

If the paint is as solid on the car as it looks in the pics but just dull, I'd try and buff it out.

IIRC to get the emblems off the vinyl on the C-pillars, the sail panels have to come off the inside to get at the nuts. That's 3/4 of the battle to change the vinyl and there isn't much vinyl to change compared to a roof.

If the paint buffs out and you change the vinyl, that car will look like a million bucks for just a few hundred.

Kevin

View attachment 72302
Hi Everyone,
I opted to skip the respray and had it detailed, the rip in the drivers seat reupholstered, the sail panels on the roof replaced and the rear seat stitching repaired. Previous work was to replace all four power window motors and replace all aged front end parts. She now runs very smooth and sweet. I have access to the grandson I purchased her from to verify the 18k original miles but what should I ask for? A notarized letter or? I contacted a local DMV expert and she said they don't keep any mileage records because it never changed hands. I have six cars now so three are getting sold including this one so I can focus on the Belvedere as another poster commented.

Last edited:
Back