to re-chrome or to not re-chrome, that is the question

Izil726

Reaction score
hello FCBO world.

I'm really hoping that someone out there has had a similar situation to me. I have a 70 Newport convertible that's in pretty decent shape. It has some minor rust bubbles, a scratch along the rear fender that inherited when I purchased the car but generally speaking it looks good enough to go cruising around the metropolis of Buffalo, NY. However, one thing that I really hate about the car is an extremely pitted part of the rear bumper, which I also inherited when I purchased the car . I included 2 pictures of the bumper, the corner that is very passable and the section that's...well... lets just agree upon "slightly pitted".

I'm just wondering when is something too far gone to entertain being repaired and re-chromed. Does anyone out there have any experience with something similar and can you share what you did?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Izil726

IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG

I would show that to Sandy's Bumper Mart in Syracuse.NY
Roughly 2.5 hours drive from Buffalo.
They do rechroming there. Not Pebble Beach quality but nice street quality better than what you got quality.
The better the core--the better the finished product.
Good family business and I had several sets of bumpers done by them and at decent prices for what they do.

Tell Mike,Anthony and Sandy I sent ya.
Sandy’s Bumper Mart, Inc.

Last edited:
That's fairly ugly. A good re-chrome place should be able to make that look nice. I like Tri-City Plating. I think that they are in TN but you are looking at a lot of money for a rechrome job.

That's fairly ugly. A good re-chrome place should be able to make that look nice. I like Tri-City Plating. I think that they are in TN but you are looking at a lot of money for a rechrome job.

I just did one at Tri city because of quality and reputation. About a grand including freight both ways.

NO REGRETS!

Sandy's used to have a sale each year during the winter. I think it was 20% off. Ten years ago they were around $400 for a large bumper, but I'm sure the price is higher now.

Jeff

Your other option to save $$$ is to shop around for a much cleaner bumper and do a swap. Good Luck

I would show that to Sandy's Bumper Mart in Syracuse.NY
Roughly 2.5 hours drive from Buffalo.
They do rechroming there. Not Pebble Beach quality but nice street quality better than what you got quality.
The better the core--the better the finished product.
Good family business and I had several sets of bumpers done by them and at decent prices for what they do.

Tell Mike,Anthony and Sandy I sent ya.
Sandy’s Bumper Mart, Inc.
Just take it there early in the off season. They do decent work, but they are not the fastest.

When your GPS sends you into a crappy neighborhood and you think "it can't be here", there it is.

Joisey trip 2011 030.JPG
Just take it there early in the off season. They do decent work, but they are not the fastest.

When your GPS sends you into a crappy neighborhood and you think "it can't be here", there it is.
YUP! Friggin hole at a dead end street,LOL!
But thre family is nice to talk to. One of the last chromers on the Eastern seaboard.
View attachment 386629
Sandy's backyard.JPG

Inside Sandy's 3.JPG

inside Sandy's 2.JPG
inside Sandy's 1.JPG

Years ago,I had a set of bumpers done there for the 70 Newport Blubird project...
bluebird[1] (2).jpg
bluebird[1].jpg

Back