To restore, resto-mod, customize, or... sell?

John Stratton Hicky

Reaction score
I own a 1960 DeSoto Adventurer, 2-door hardtop. It's a fairly low mileage car, with a bit under 70,000 miles, but it has been sitting in dry storage for over two years now and I need to either get it restored, resto-modded so I can drive and enjoy it, radically customized into a convertible, or just get it running again and sell it. I had wanted to convert it into a convertible, and have a 1963 Chrysler convertible parts car, but having a hard time finding a local shop (North Georgia) that wants to tackle that. I have no idea what the current market value is as a repainted, but pretty original car that is a low option example (It has swivel front seats, but manual windows and seats, no A/C, and the stock 383.)

Suggestions? (beyond giving it away... even to a potentially loving owner... sorry guys) What is the market value for an "original" 2-door Adventurer these days? Since I can't do it myself, I'd guess restoration costs would be around $50K, convertible conversion around $70K, and just getting it running (safely, with suspension components replaced, brakes gone through, ) again around $3-5K. Am I kidding myself on these estimates?

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

DSC_1090.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_2786a.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to make a vert out of a sedan or hardtop is a very bad idea. Verts have extra metal in the frame to compensate for the lack of a roof panel. Lacking the extra support, the frame will distort to the point that the doors will not close in short order. As far as the value, you would need to post some photos to get a fair evaluation. The 1960 is a relatively rare car and the 2dr hardtops generate some collector interest if solid and original.

Dave

Trying to make a vert out of a sedan or hardtop is a very bad idea. Verts have extra metal in the frame to compensate for the lack of a roof panel. Lacking the extra support, the frame will distort to the point that the doors will not close in short order. As far as the value, you would need to post some photos to get a fair evaluation. The 1960 is a relatively rare car and the 2dr hardtops generate some collector interest if solid and original.

Dave
Photos should show now. If not, let me know!

Mining for gold is a very challenging and costly occupation... maybe start a reality show?

:rofl:
Not sure what you mean. I've seen a couple convertible conversions, like I was thinking about, and they are beautiful. I'm not trying to make a profit, just have a fun, reliable, and unique ride. Here's a fairly well known convertible conversion that started with the same make/model as mine.

1960 DeSoto Adventurer convertible-03_sm.jpeg

Photos should show now. If not, let me know!

Car looks to be beautiful and well preserved. Get it running and drive the hell out of it. It will always be worth more as a clean classic rather that a Frankenstein mod. After extensive storage it will need some work. Brake system will need new wheel cylinders and hoses and a new master cylinder. Fuel system, if fuel was left in it, will need to be cleaned out and the carb rebuilt, probably will also need a new fuel pump and all new fuel hoses. Replace the belts and hoses on the cooling system and tune up the engine. Car should also get a full service, oil change and filter, transmission service and change the fluid in the rear end. Be sure to grease all fittings on the steering components. The tires if they are over ten years old should also be replaced.

Dave

Last edited:
Too nice to do anything but get it in good running order and drive it. That's a clean example of a pretty rare car. Would be a shame to see it get "customized".

Too nice to do anything but get it in good running order and drive it. That's a clean example of a pretty rare car. Would be a shame to see it get "customized".

Could not have said that better myself. Do NOT go hacking that car up. That thing is gorgeous, rare and looks to be in great condition. Anything else would be a disservice in my craphole opinion.

Not sure what you mean. I've seen a couple convertible conversions, like I was thinking about, and they are beautiful. I'm not trying to make a profit, just have a fun, reliable, and unique ride. Here's a fairly well known convertible conversion that started with the same make/model as mine.

View attachment 396592

Well you seem to be a member here longer than me, but I guess you don't read the forums much to appreciate the 'banter'. I don't think we have seen a 'convertible conversion' that has turned out well here so when you mentioned that it was well... 'Open Season' so to say.

Here's one that has been plaguing Craigslist for years that we like.

For Sale - 1967 Plymouth Fury lll Sport commando - GUD GAWD!!!

00t0t_hqsrbjbcskn_1200x900-jpg.jpg

BTW how much do you think you have invested in the 2 years of dry storage?

4 pictures are not showing but what is shown is a very nice car and should be left as it is. Maybe just time to move along?

IMO, if you do anything but get it running or bite the bullet for a restoration you will severely de-value that car. It looks exceptionally clean and if no rust the value will continue to go up....Unless you start modifying it.

My advise would be to get it running, sell it and then buy the vert you want. You will be light years ahead and happier with the result in the long run.

Leave that beauty alone. I can’t see chopping the roof off such an original, low mileage, low production car. Instead of spending 70k on a bad plastic surgery job, why not put your $ into finding a factory produced convertible.

Leave that beauty alone. I can’t see chopping the roof off such an original, low mileage, low production car. Instead of spending 70k on a bad plastic surgery job, why not put your $ into finding a factory produced convertible.
I knew I'd be getting a lot of comments against chopping the car, but there were NO convertible DeSoto's from the factory. The 2-3 that exist today are all custom jobs and I love the look. But, I suppose I could just switch to the Chrysler MOPAR branch of the family and search for a nice Chrysler convertible as a replacement. Still, nice examples of those tend to go for over $100K, and that definitely moves into the unaffordable range.

Last edited:
Well you seem to be a member here longer than me, but I guess you don't read the forums much to appreciate the 'banter'. I don't think we have seen a 'convertible conversion' that has turned out well here so when you mentioned that it was well... 'Open Season' so to say.

Here's one that has been plaguing Craigslist for years that we like.

For Sale - 1967 Plymouth Fury lll Sport commando - GUD GAWD!!!

View attachment 396598

BTW how much do you think you have invested in the 2 years of dry storage?

4 pictures are not showing but what is shown is a very nice car and should be left as it is. Maybe just time to move along?

I lucked out and the storage has been cost free... up to this point. That may end soon, hence a somewhat renewed urgency in making a decision.

I lucked out and the storage has been cost free... up to this point. That may end soon, hence a somewhat renewed urgency in making a decision.

That appears to be a nice original car; therefore, it will be more valuable than a similar but restored car. Originality is more precious to most collectors than a restored car with a new paint job. I won't even address the convertible conversion you mentioned. . .

Get the car running well and reliable, clean it up the best you can (buff the paint -wax on wax off), and drive it. If you still have an itch for a convertible, sell the car (after you clean it up) and go shopping.

Last edited:
That appears to be a nice original car: therefore it will be more valuable than a similar but restored car. Originality is more precious to most collectors than a restored car with a new paint job. I won't even address the convertible conversion you mentioned. . .

Get the car running well and reliable, clean it up the best you can (buff the paint -wax on wax off), and drive it. If you still have an itch for a convertible, sell the car (after you clean it up) and go shopping.
Perfect....

I knew I'd be getting a lot of comments against chopping the car, but there were NO convertible DeSoto's from the factory. The 2-3 that exist today are all custom jobs and I love the look. But, I suppose I could just switch to the Chrysler MOPAR branch of the family and search for a nice Chrysler convertible as a replacement. Still, nice examples of those tend to go for over $100K, and that definitely moves into the unaffordable range.

You may want to see what you can get for your car running and driving, that $100k range may be more reasonable if you put what you can get out of your car against the $100k

I own a 1960 DeSoto Adventurer, 2-door hardtop. It's a fairly low mileage car, with a bit under 70,000 miles, but it has been sitting in dry storage for over two years now and I need to either get it restored, resto-modded so I can drive and enjoy it, radically customized into a convertible, or just get it running again and sell it. I had wanted to convert it into a convertible, and have a 1963 Chrysler convertible parts car, but having a hard time finding a local shop (North Georgia) that wants to tackle that. I have no idea what the current market value is as a repainted, but pretty original car that is a low option example (It has swivel front seats, but manual windows and seats, no A/C, and the stock 383.)

Suggestions? (beyond giving it away... even to a potentially loving owner... sorry guys) What is the market value for an "original" 2-door Adventurer these days? Since I can't do it myself, I'd guess restoration costs would be around $50K, convertible conversion around $70K, and just getting it running (safely, with suspension components replaced, brakes gone through, ) again around $3-5K. Am I kidding myself on these estimates?

View attachment 396586

View attachment 396587

View attachment 396588

View attachment 396589

View attachment 396590
IMHO, that is a very nice car the way it sits. A rare car too, if that means anything to you.

If it were mine, I'd leave it pretty much alone. If you want to do some "reversible" things, like maybe some tasteful wheels, that could be cool, but cutting up that car... I'd say no.

It could be a fun car the way it is... A project car can be a huge money and time pit.

Back