To white wall or not to white wall

I just did a post on b-bodies about some Vitour whitewall tires that were recently installed on my Plymouth. Here’s some pictures.

View attachment 345766

View attachment 345767

View attachment 345768

View attachment 345769

View attachment 345770

View attachment 345771

View attachment 345772

View attachment 345773

View attachment 345774

The aspect ratio is a little lower, so the car will sit a little lower and the WSW is a little wider than all the other offerings it seems. Interesting alternative to the others.

Here also is a slightly taller version with a 75 aspect ratio:

Classic 787 by Vercelli Tires Passenger Tire Size 235/75R15

Vercelli_Classic787_WSW_Angle.jpg

This whitwall seems to be a little more narrow than the 70 series and the price is competitive with the other available brands in this size/aspect ratio. Probably a better choice for a C body than the 70 series if a taller tire is more appealing to you (it is to me at least). The price is also lower than the 70 series.

There are plenty of other brands of the 235/75/15 WSW in their stock as well. Kind of surprising there are that many different brands................

Last edited:
I like the Optimos due to their higher load rating than any of the other comparable tire brands in this size.

Same here. The load rating is 108.

I own these tires on a 1961 Chrysler without A/C. I wouldn’t buy them again. They are worn on the outside edges from cornering on the highway, not from alignment problems. I’m not autocrossing or slalom driving either.

Thank you for the info. This is the first time I’ve read that comment re: the Hankook Optimos, and I did a thorough search (reading lots of reviews last year and again this year). I wonder how long you’ve had the tires and how many miles you’ve put on them?

FWIW, the tires on my Polara are less than 2 years old, and those on my Monaco are less than a year old. The Polara has about 2.2k miles on the tires; the Monaco, about 1.8k miles. They look and feel like new.

Last edited:
WW for sure with Road Wheels. I have the Optimos on the Monaco 500 and can recommend them for reasons mentioned above. I have not observed premature wearing.

I would put white walls back on the car, especially with the roadwheels. Here is my stepdads Sport Fury Fast-top and S/23 with white wall tires. The tires on the Fast-top are I believe National XT3000. The White Walls on the S/23 are gone and are now BF Goodrich raised white letters.
PICT0822.JPG

Carlisle 2019 (Thanks @cantflip)
3155892539_528d8ac025.jpg

The S/23 @ Carlisle in the mid to late 1990's.

Cooper Trendsetter Whitewalls ! An American Company. No Asian Cheap Junk for me.

I own these tires on a 1961 Chrysler without A/C. I wouldn’t buy them again. They are worn on the outside edges from cornering on the highway, not from alignment problems. I’m not autocrossing or slalom driving either. My wife doesn’t think I drive to fast, and she is pretty conservative.

They do ride nice going down the highway, smooth and quiet. I do like that quality in them.

Interesting. . . What air pressures are you running in those tires? Since the tires are wearing on the outer edges, it sounds like you have an under-inflation issue. I'm running 235-75 X 15s with 34 pounds of pressure.

The factory wheels with the wire hub caps on my Yorker need the white wall tires replaced. I put on the road wheels for awhile now with the black walls out. Should I go with the white walls back on the old steel wheels or no?
Here are 2 pictures of both wheel and tire combinations I run, the first 2 are the white walls.

What brand/size white wall tires does everyone recommend. Looks like they are getting hard to find.

View attachment 345672

View attachment 345673

View attachment 345674

View attachment 345675

Road wheels do look better with white walls. I have magnums on mine and I didnt care for the w.w look on those so i went with white letter. I'm running 235/70 also all around. I love the new yorker! Thats my next c-body. I do miss the fender skirts to.

Like the rest I would go with the white wall tire. Some place that I haven't seen mentioned is Coker tire. they deal in the old style and hard to find tire (cokertire.com).

White walls do look good on the road wheels. Some nice cars pictured. Now I am torn between white walls on steelies or on the road wheels. Good thing I have until spring to decide.

road wheel.JPG
DSC01326 (Large).JPG
DSC02966.JPG
White walls do look good on the road wheels. Some nice cars pictured. Now I am torn between white walls on steelies or on the road wheels. Good thing I have until spring to decide.

Tough choice. The road wheels sure do look good on a formal with road wheels though. I think the Cooper Trendsetters on the road wheels are the best way to go. The Hankook tires, (aside from sounding so Asian), have a very busy sidewall design where as the coopers have a more traditional appearance, like the original tires looked. The difference in load rating really doesn't matter unless you going to haul loads or tow a trailer. ( Not even then). I towed a vintage travel trailer with both a 69 300 convertible and a 69 Fury suburban, both equipped with 235 x 75x 15 Cooper trendsetters, over 10K miles with no tire issues.
Be sure your sitting down if you look at the Corker tire prices.

Last edited:
I just bought this set of Coopers for less then $300.00 shipped. (website listed here early on. tirecrawler.com, I think it is).

DSC05162.JPG
DSC05180.JPG

235 x 75 x 15 mounted on 15 x 7 steel wheels with wheel covers

Well, I ordered 5 new white walls. Should have them on and will have some updated pictures within a week or so.

Back