Today's FCBO "What the...?"

Quad headlamps came out in 1957 as an option, but only available in a few states; because they were illegal in many states. The allowance for quad headlights became a 48-state thing for the 1958 MY. So, it could be a '57

:sSig_greetingsthor: ............ :welcome:. From Will in Alabama.

Now that's just coooool... Thanks for the pics.
Do you have any info on the car....? Looks like a 2 dr H/T, What is the price on it...?

Thank you.

I will get as much information as I can on it.

I will post when I have it.

Quad headlamps came out in 1957 as an option, but only available in a few states; because they were illegal in many states. The allowance for quad headlights became a 48-state thing for the 1958 MY. So, it could be a '57

I was looking at the rear of the car. It is the rear of a 1958 Plymouth.

How could they have had the 1958 rear end on a 1957 model before the parts were even produced?

I was looking at the rear of the car. It is the rear of a 1958 Plymouth.

How could they have had the 1958 rear end on a 1957 model before the parts were even produced?

I think I remember reading somewhere once, not sure where though, that some jurisdictions registered and titled vehicle based on the manufacturing date not model year. If that is the case, and it was purchased late 57....?????:shruggy:

I think I remember reading somewhere once, not sure where though, that some jurisdictions registered and titled vehicle based on the manufacturing date not model year. If that is the case, and it was purchased late 57....?????:shruggy:

I will see when I go lok at the car.

The VINs are different here so that won't help me.

It is the rear of a 1958 Plymouth.

Most auto manufactures have a design in place at least 2-3 years in advance of production. Could be that on export models the new design was in place on an earlier date. A 1958 model Could have been built as early as August 1957.

Most auto manufactures have a design in place at least 2-3 years in advance of production. Could be that on export models the new design was in place on an earlier date. A 1958 model Could have been built as early as August 1957.

I am not sure if it is an export model or it was made here under the Automex banner.. I will find out though.

Just the opposite. Export vehicles would at the earliest get the same tooling and features as the current model U.S. and/or Canadian cars. Tooling was often shipped to export assemlers in the years following their use in North America.

This practice occurred in several European countries and some U.S. states prior to either WWII or Korea. Around 1956/57, vins became model year specific, which made registering a vehicle by the date of manufacture unlikely. Also, there were some jurisdictions that registered cars by the engine serial number and not the car serial number. I don't believe that lasted very long.

Most of these cars were built either in Detroit or Windsor Ontario. Detroit built the vast majority of hardtops as well as all convertible, while Windsor was quite adept at cranking out sedans, particularly when the basic body was based on other cars they were currently building.

desoto_1958_export_01.jpg

Posted via Topify on Android

The owner told me it was, by our standards a 1958 model. He said it was first sold in November of 1957 so he thinks it is a 1957 model.

I am still waiting for more pictures and more information about the car.

he did tell me it has the original engine and transmission, but I don't know what they are yet.

Back