Tool - to remove Too Much Engine Oil

JoeyL

Reaction score
Can you recommend a tool ( suction device ) to remove engine oil through the dip stick tube ?? I have a 400 engine . Thanks !!

These Mityvacs work well:

s-l1600.jpg

Mity-Vac MV7400 Fluid Evacuator with 1.9 gal Capacity Reservoir | eBay

Harbor Freight sells their own version in the stores if you are in a hurry and have one close by.

Jeff

We use these pumps to drain components but we drain many gallons at a time not 5 or 6 quarts. It’s not the best way to change your passenger car oil...

OK, maybe it's just me.. But shouldn't the question "why do you need to drain off some oil and how much is it overfilled?" be asked?

If you overfilled it... OK, understand... Done crap like that myself if no one is watching me. If the level has come up mysteriously, like maybe gas or water in the oil, that's other problems.

Don't mean to insult anyone... Just have seen a little too much in my time not to ask a couple questions first.

An $89 pump doesn't seem economical to me. I'd clean and wipe the bottom of the oil pan off (just to be safe) and drain into a new dollar store dish pan. Then measure out what should go back in. A few bucks for some brake cleaner and a dish pan.

There are also electric "extractors" for use with lawn machinery (as in riding lawn mowers) which are smaller and about $30.00 or so. Not being able to get the oil drain activated on the zero turn mower I co-opted, I found one on Amazon and ordered it, only to later see something very similar at Home Depot. It works quickly and well. Has some battery cable leads to hook it to the battery.

Just insert the smaller "clear" tube into the dipstick hole, IF it will go in far enough to get to oil. Hook up the leads and make sure to have the exit tube in a suitable recepticle. Over pretty quickly.

Use of floor jacks, jack stands, and oil catch cans can become a bit harder to do with advancing age, by observation. Not to forget the transition between standing and not-standing.

I concur with the inquiry into "Why?"

Enjoy!
CBODY67

There are hand pumps for I/O motors on boats but there's an adapter on the dipstick for a good seal. I used one but didn't think it all completely drained.

These Mityvacs work well:

View attachment 487248

Mity-Vac MV7400 Fluid Evacuator with 1.9 gal Capacity Reservoir | eBay

Harbor Freight sells their own version in the stores if you are in a hurry and have one close by.

Jeff
THose pumps are also very handy for changing oil in small engines like your walk behind mower or snow blower if there is no drain plug handy. Also handy for suctioning gas out of those small tanks to drain for winter or master cylinder reservoirs.
As far as the OP's car? Like mentioned earlier, just loosen the drain plug (don't remove it) over a drain pan. How many quarts did you put in?

Geeez this is still ongoing? FFS how much does 5 quarts cost? Then install one of these for the next time you fluck up.

OIL.DRAIN.VALVE.png

Some people just need to go too 'Quicky Lube'

:rofl:

We had a 3.2 V6 2000 Concorde. The aluminum oil pan plug threads stripped out. I used a rubber plug. To change oil, I used this cheap Topsider oil vacuum pump from Harbor Freight. Eventually, after a 190k miles, the car had so many problems that I gave it a one way ticket to the scrap metal yard.
PXL_20210925_161920546.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210925_161855598.jpg

Back