Top Fender Bodyline Dent

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I have a loft above the 1970 Fury convertible and the 1972 Fury Coupe that are in my garage. I had a piece of angle iron stored too close to the edge of that loft. Because the asphalt shingles on the roof were mostly black and eaten up with moss, I had roofers come in and reshingle the roof. The vibration from the roofers taking the old shingles off, and nailing the new shingles into position somehow caused the angle iron to fall out of the loft and hit the top of my left front fender. Nobody's fault but mine.

Still I have this dent to fix. Is there a way to fix this at home? Or would one of those dent puller companies be able to straighten out the body line? Or because it's in the body line, is this a job for a professional? Thanks, Ben
PXL_20220313_011556486.jpg

PXL_20220313_011622676.jpg

Unfortunately paintless dent removable won't work since it needs painting. Repairing the dent won't be too hard. Matching the paint will be the challenge. On that body line the metal is strong and rigid so the metal stretching and oil canning isn't a problem. Start by bringing out the body line and the rest should follow. You probably will have to drop the inner fender to get access to it. Good luck!

Unfortunately paintless dent removable won't work since it needs painting. Repairing the dent won't be too hard. Matching the paint will be the challenge. On that body line the metal is strong and rigid so the metal stretching and oil canning isn't a problem. Start by bringing out the body line and the rest should follow. You probably will have to drop the inner fender to get access to it. Good luck!
Thanks, Chris. What tool(s) would you use to bring out the body line? Ben

Thanks, Chris. What tool(s) would you use to bring out the body line? Ben
I would use a body spoon with close to the same shape as the fender line. Place it over the damage and tap with a hammer. You could use a large screwdriver or a chisel if you don't have a spoon. Just find something as close to the contour of the body line. Make sure it's not sharp though. You don't want to punch a hole in it.

Considering the metal "stretch" in that indentation, possibly need to drill a small hole, work the metal back to the correct contour, then braze the hole closed, spot filler (thin skim coat), then refinish?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If you have access to an old leaf spring they can be cut down and edges buffed to profile. They can aslo make good slappers if they are thin.

You could also use a slide hammer and a stud welder. Pulling up on the dent while tapping that bulge on the side in.

There will be a lot of stretch in that little dent which can also be spot shrank with a stud welder with no stud in it.

I think the two most difficult aspects will be access and stretched material.

Plenty of ways to skin the cat.

Before I got rid of my loft I accidentally kicked a hammer off the edge and put a dent in the top of the rear fender of my Coronet.

That looks like a prime candidate for a little old fashioned lead filling. Location is fine for it as well, no need to remove the fender, maybe an eight inch by 4 inch area to be refinished.....

If you have access to an old leaf spring they can be cut down and edges buffed to profile. They can aslo make good slappers if they are thin.

You could also use a slide hammer and a stud welder. Pulling up on the dent while tapping that bulge on the side in.

There will be a lot of stretch in that little dent which can also be spot shrank with a stud welder with no stud in it.

I think the two most difficult aspects will be access and stretched material.

Plenty of ways to skin the cat.

Before I got rid of my loft I accidentally kicked a hammer off the edge and put a dent in the top of the rear fender of my Coronet.
Okay, I still feel like an idiot, but at least I'm not alone. Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

Back