Top Gear Premier...First Impressions

Mr onetwo

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Watching Top Gear right now. Unfortunately I give it 2 thumbs down!:( Matt Lablanc is absolutely terrible and the other guy???:confused: makes no impression at all. The BBC should have known that the show is totally about the personalities of Clarkson, Hammond and May. Fortunately the trio has their own show on Amazon Prime coming out shortly...can't wait!:steering::thumbsup: Clarkson on Amazon: All you need to know

The BBC "Top Gear" produces the US show, in case you might have been unaware. The US version is tolerable.

I like to watch the Brit show "Fifth Gear"...yeah, it's a show in the mold of the BBC show "Top Gear", minus the goofiness. It was actually the 2002 replacement for "Top Gear", but the network brought back TG after a season off the air. So, the new show went to ITV and changed its' name to "Fifth Gear". Plus, it has a lovely young blonde driver/presenter by the name of Vicki Butler-Henderson. She is no stranger to cars, and has been involved in racing since age 12, starting with karts.

220px-VickiButlerHenderson.jpg

I thought it would end up not being that great. It's a personality driven show and these guys just can't fill the shoes that Clarkson and crew left behind. The entire thing has a vague feeling of desperation behind it.

The problem is that the US "Top Gear" show is trying way too hard to be the UK "Top Gear"; to be a clone of the other. If you have a show with a similar format that is more aligned to what the host country is like ("Wheel of Fortune" is a show that has many versions worldwide and does well), it would likely do better. But you have to remember the producers of the UK TG are the same people that produce the US version...you'd think they'd have figured that out, somehow, after five seasons.

Can't stand the new English guy. He screams all the time and not funny. The real "Top Gear" guys will be on Amazon Prime later this year, don't know if they will have the production budget of the BBC, but I know I will like the cast.

The problem is that the US "Top Gear" show is trying way too hard to be the UK "Top Gear"; to be a clone of the other. If you have a show with a similar format that is more aligned to what the host country is like ("Wheel of Fortune" is a show that has many versions worldwide and does well), it would likely do better. But you have to remember the producers of the UK TG are the same people that produce the US version...you'd think they'd have figured that out, somehow, after five seasons.
Patrick...the show I am talking about is the british show. The US show is absolute dreck!

Haven't seen the new UK TG yet. It can't be as good as the original, the ingredients are not there. I wouldn't expect it to be the same, either.

Back