Torque converter differences.

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Had a torque converter built a few years ago for my stroker build. When ordering he wanted to know the year of the car ,weight ,rear ratio, ci displacement, wanted to see the cam card and probably a few other things I have forgotten. Went to put in the 11" [or 10. something to be more specific] converter and it would not fit as I guess the spline count was different. If I remember correctly are the torque converters for 727's a bit different in the spline count for 1965 and back compared to 1966 and up? Just to confirm I posted the number stamped on my 727 so that someone can confirm it's production year. I am assuming the last 2 digits mean 1969 but don't know for sure. Really a pity as time is short and we are just going with the stock converter installed till I can resolve this.
Any thoughts to enlighten me would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be armed with some knowledge on this before I speak with the builder of the torque converter. I am not angry as poop happens but want to resolve this logically. Thanks much.

20220520_140933.jpg

Yes, the 1962-1966 torque converters/727 combo had a 19 spline and then they later went to 27 spline. I had to get my 19 spline rebuilt with a higher stall to accommodate the 505 stroker in my 64 New Yorker. There is a conversion you can do by changing the output shaft, but you'd have to yank the tranny and have someone who knows what they're doing with torqueflites. Last I checked, Hughes made a 19 spline torque converter with a 3000 stall I believe.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input there mikedrini. I found a site that identifies the trans year from the numbers stamped above the trans pan as posted in the pic in my opening post. Well the converter is not the problem I am quite sure, it is my 727.

2538380 = Dodge ,Chrysler, Plymouth , 440 1966. How the fack it got into my 69 fury is anyone's guess.
Found this info here.

https://mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

Thanks for your input there mikedrini. I found a site that identifies the trans year from the numbers stamped above the trans pan as posted in the pic in my opening post. Well the converter is not the problem I am quite sure, it is my 727.

2538380 = Dodge ,Chrysler, Plymouth , 440 1966. How the fack it got into my 69 fury is anyone's guess.
Found this info here.

https://mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf
Ya know, a guy often finds himself wonderin about the journey and just how some of these parts combos came together. My 64 shoulda come with a 413, but it had a 383 with low miles when i bought it...go figure.

You can have, or DYI, the input shaft changed. You should not have to change output shaft till after ~75/76 the inter splines changed. The 71 up pump support is better/wider, but I have been pounding the hell out of a 1970 for 40+ years and almost 40,000 miles.
Or just have a later trans built to work with your converter.

I suspect you don't have the original tranny. 99.9% chance you don't. Never heard of a torqueflite that lasted for nearly 60 years. Trans shops don't rebuild your original.
They swap in whatever is on the shelf at the moment. They're mostly universal at that point. Just swap the speedo gear. Most owners are happy their car is moving down
the road and could care less. The Dexron II that was originally used was designed to deliberately slip during shifts. Gave you that smooth Cadillac ride, but you needed to
rebuild them every 50k miles or less. Using type F was the poor mans shift kit. Made them shift faster, but harsher. When you consider a what a transmission rebuild costs
now, don't even look for Dexron II.

Trans shops don't rebuild your original.
They swap in whatever is on the shelf at the moment. They're mostly universal at that point. Just swap the speedo gear. Most owners are happy their car is moving down
the road and could care less.
Good point on how mine got there.

the road and could care less.
Yeah ,,I guess i just tried to swap out the wrong part, the torque converter in this case.

Back