Torque converter swap

ideologist

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to adding the "performance" torque convertors from places like Jegs? I see one for sale locally, brand new in the box for a 727 transmission, way under retail.

Any reason to swap this?

Is there any benefit to adding the "performance" torque convertors from places like Jegs? I see one for sale locally, brand new in the box for a 727 transmission, way under retail.

Any reason to swap this?

If you have one that works, leave it in place. Many of the aftermarket units will have an altered stall speed from what your car came with, usually a higher stall speed. If you have installed a high performance camshaft with the torque curve at the top of the high RPM range, then it makes sense to a install converter with a higher stall speed. For pretty much anything else it is probably going to be a waste of money and trash your fuel mileage. You should always install a rebuilt or new convertor if you are rebuilding the transmission. Otherwise I would leave it alone.

Dave

If you have one that works, leave it in place. Many of the aftermarket units will have an altered stall speed from what your car came with, usually a higher stall speed. If you have installed a high performance camshaft with the torque curve at the top of the high RPM range, then it makes sense to a install converter with a higher stall speed. For pretty much anything else it is probably going to be a waste of money and trash your fuel mileage. You should always install a rebuilt or new convertor if you are rebuilding the transmission. Otherwise I would leave it alone.

Dave

Unless you have a highly modified engine there is no need for a "performance" torque converter. Most of the performance torque converters on the market are designed for cars that weigh less than our C Body's. With my '68 Sport Fury with a 520" stroker I had a custom built converter made by Ultimate Converters and the price was not much different than an off the shelf converter.

Where are they out of?

Back