Torsion Bar Removal

M1911

Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing my Radius Arm Bushings and was hoping to do that without removing my torsion bars...can that be done? If not, having never done torsion bars, how big of job is it? I had "a local" tell me to take the bolt out of the bottom of the control arm and and unbolt the front of the torsion and beat it back. Does that sold right? 68 Fury III. Thanks in advance.
Ben

I'm going to be replacing my Radius Arm Bushings and was hoping to do that without removing my torsion bars...can that be done? If not, having never done torsion bars, how big of job is it? I had "a local" tell me to take the bolt out of the bottom of the control arm and and unbolt the front of the torsion and beat it back. Does that sold right? 68 Fury III. Thanks in advance.
Ben
Do you have a factory service manual for your car? Very helpful and would answer all your questions.
Do you mean upper control arm?

Do you have a factory service manual for your car? Very helpful and would answer all your questions.
Do you mean upper control arm?

No I have the Uppers already out. The torsion bars run threw the Lowers. I do have a service manual but it is very vague on torsion removal.

Ben
Reading more, yes, you have to back off the tension and remove the torsion bars.

First, please use some caution... These are under some high tension that can do some serious damage to you if not treated with respect.

Let me find a link to an easy to build tool that will help.

Ben
And you are missing the part about taking the little clip out of the back of the torsion bar socket. You'll never get it out (well, maybe not never, but it will be a lot harder) with that little clip in there.

Reading more, yes, you have to back off the tension and remove the torsion bars.

First, please use some caution... These are under some high tension that can do some serious damage to you if not treated with respect.

Let me find a link to an easy to build tool that will help.

Thanks for the link I actually have access to a clamp on tool. . Yes it's the factory manual. After the bolt is backed out and without load is there still a crazy amount of tension? I get it will have the weight of the L-Control arm and Radius Arm. I know these can be complicated but the Service Manual makes is seem simple, thats why I ask before I start pounding. That whole measure twice philosophy.

No tension left with the adjuster backed off all the way and the front end off the ground.

Thanks for the link I actually have access to a clamp on tool. . Yes it's the factory manual. After the bolt is backed out and without load is there still a crazy amount of tension? I get it will have the weight of the L-Control arm and Radius Arm. I know these can be complicated but the Service Manual makes is seem simple, thats why I ask before I start pounding. That whole measure twice philosophy.
No tension once everything is backed off and the load off.

I just like to make sure everyone understands it's still a spring... I'd rather warn, get them to pay attention, and take the chance of annoying them a bit, especially when it's someone that's never done it, rather than read about their visit to the ER... or worse.

Back