Tossing the idea around...

71Polara383

Kid with ballcap
Reaction score
I am strongly considering selling my 3 2drs and a ton of parts NOS/Used. It's been a valiant effort...but I just dont see this making sense anymore...

This would be the following cars...

70 FK5 Monaco 500
71 Dodge Monaco (runs and drives)
71 Polara Brougham

And quite literally more parts then I know what to do with...sheet metal, trim, engines, interior stuff, ETC.

Thoughts? Comments? It's hard to make this post, but I think it's the right decision.

:(

FB_IMG_1543433500247.jpg

20190927_212012.jpg

20190917_185118.jpg

20190927_191904.jpg

I have never quite figured it out myself Wyatt. You have to do what makes you happy. The one thing is that there will always be more cool cars to buy. I could never see selling out completely myself as I still love this old stuff. But if you can make some money and forward yourself in life for other opportunities that can't be a bad thing.

My name is Dave and I am a Moparoholic….

Dave

I would love to save them all...but I have moved on and now I'm wondering WTF DID I DO?

I get so lost on members and their huge C collections. Exactly how many C-bodies do you own currently?

I’ll tell you what you did. Thanks to the work you’ve done on these cars, you have established not only your reputation as a c-body aficionado but also your competence and hard work credentials. (1) Together with @saforwardlook, you have managed to save and bring back the Monacucamonga from the ranks of the condemned. Someone who wants to bomb around town in a cool, tough Dodge should buy it. (2) You’ve done for the Brougham what many thought was impossible. Regardless of what happens to that car, your experience will benefit the super-rare TX9 T-code Polara ragtop that you just bought. (3) As for the FK5, well, that’s the one I’d keep for the time being — as well as the parts. Why? I may need them :drama:

Personally, I haven't come to "sell 'em all", but I have come to "put it away" for a few years, usually 5-10 at a time. I have recently drawn the line and will not buy another vehicle. That is unless it is "too good of a deal".:D But that hasn't happened lately. So I say sit back and forget about it as much as you can for a little while, then evaluate what means something, if anything, and sell what doesn't. Just my opinion.

Also, it makes a huge difference if you have something to drive around vs just projects.

I have 5 cars.

Can't quite tell how many are true projects in pieces. I did that kind of stuff years ago but not any more. Only if the car was all together, mechanically ran, had minor body work would I consider it now. Stuff like the seats I could leave to a friend. Just nothing more that needs major work. I still have a 410-4V to rebuild next year and the 360-2V the year after. I'm kind of tuckered out some. Actually according to my back muscle these last two weeks they have had it.

Can't quite tell how many are true projects in pieces. I did that kind of stuff years ago but not any more. Only if the car was all together, mechanically ran, had minor body work would I consider it now. Stuff like the seats I could leave to a friend. Just nothing more that needs major work. I still have a 410-4V to rebuild next year and the 360-2V the year after. I'm kind of tuckered out some. Actually according to my back muscle these last two weeks they have had it.
The Blue 71 Monaco is a running project.
The FK5 is a damn shame but I have acquired everything to make it a car again
The Gold car has 65% of the metal work finished and the best parts used/NOS to put it back together.

The other 2 are not for sale so theres no point in talking about them.

Always tough selling cars but sounds like you now have your ultimate c body to spend time on.I would be interested in your fk5 monaco.Pm me details about it when you have decided what you are gonna do. Thanks, Mark

Sounds like you've thought about it, and already decided it best for you to do. Nobody can give you better advice than yourself. You really did dive in there, things happen, and priorities change. I was hoping to see the Brougham finished, was that the car that got you started on your C body journey?

Sounds like you've thought about it, and already decided it best for you to do. Nobody can give you better advice than yourself. You really did dive in there, things happen, and priorities change. I was hoping to see the Brougham finished, was that the car that got you started on your C body journey?
Yes it is...I havent totally given up, but at this point...with a much more significant Dodge in my stable...it makes me question moving forward with any of the others. If I had to guess, I'll be stuck with the Brougham anyways. It wont get junked, but put on the far back burner.

Maybe I am jumping the gun, that's why I put it out here to hear others thoughts and comments. I appreciate them all.

I’d keep the FK5 and your latest. My .02.

I’d keep the FK5 and your latest. My .02.
Are you saying, let go of the Prolara? I'm not sure that's something I wanting to do. It's a driver.

I love all these cars...but I have to be realistic...maybe I am just having a bad night. I'd like to do them all justice as I feel like I am the last hope for them. I just dont know how I can swing it.

I am strongly considering selling my 3 2drs and a ton of parts NOS/Used. It's been a valiant effort...but I just dont see this making sense anymore...

This would be the following cars...

70 FK5 Monaco 500
71 Dodge Monaco (runs and drives)
71 Polara Brougham

And quite literally more parts then I know what to do with...sheet metal, trim, engines, interior stuff, ETC.

Thoughts? Comments? It's hard to make this post, but I think it's the right decision.

:(

View attachment 325639

View attachment 325641

View attachment 325642

View attachment 325643
Hi Wyatt, I don't know your cars or their market very well. BUT, you just can't sell a car in pieces as easily as one that's intact.

So long as you have the space and the energy, I'd say to give each of the cars you're considering parting with a thorough inspection. Then, if you can't do any of the required metal work, I'd say to protect them from more rust (grease, used oil, ospho...cheap paint...anything really) and bolt them back together into something that can be shipped. Even better, something that looks like a complete car and will drive onto a transporter. If you go all out, I bet you could rough together one every week or two and the soft parts and glass are safest when assembled as they belong... especially for transportation purposes.

For the next owner, that would allow disassembly on their own terms to correct whatever they choose to correct. Plus, aside for transportation issues, it will make it a lot easier to determine what's there and what isn't. Most of all, most folks panic when they see one in scattered pieces, it will be far more satisfying for the next owner to roll a car into their garage, than to unload crates of used parts and hope they can assemble the puzzle.

No matter what, there will be a risk that the buyer gets over their head and the car isn't saved... just find a way to live with it once it's no longer yours. After you've determined what parts you want rid of, make an effort to sell them here, but you can always plan to deliver them at the car shows next year... that should help you with gas money, delivering for a fair premium.

Good luck, whatever you do.

The wagon stays too, sorry I didn’t state that. There’s no reason to sell the wagon.

Here’s what I have found. It’s very difficult, notice I didn’t say impossible, to get a whole lot of anything done on any one project when there are 4 others that need your attention all in the same room. Remember these cars aren’t going to easily earn you a living or get you healthcare, in fact every one of these cars is going to do its best to keep you from doing that and it’ll take years to put the black one on the road how you want it.

Back