trading my 68 Fury III for a jeep? Thoughts?

Knebel

Reaction score
After going on a couple of "offroad" adventures with my wife in our little Toyota, we are playing with the thought of selling the fury and getting a jeep wrangler.... we were talking about selling our Fury and buying a jeep instead. Now, I have so much work and money invested in my fury and the big problem is, that I would most likely not get enough for it to find a good Jeep Wrangler for it (looking for a lifted mid 90s maybe with a rollcage and hardtop). We definately would use the wrangler more often, i believe, but getting one I have to put a ton of work into, let alone not being able to do much work on it, living in an apartment.... idk. What would you do? What are the thoughts on it? We also have 3 Kiddos which is difficult in a wrangler but the jeep would be more of a ..."me and my wife going on the trail" type of thing. We just rarely ever drive the fury due to gas costs. Im just very torn trading a cool classic for...an "everybodys has it vehicle". The fury has also some sentimental value to it... sigh, i just dont know.

The final decision is yours alone to make
Jeeps can bankrupt you trying to keep them running but it can be fun and hard on the (human)body
I used to do this in a previous life I'm paying the price now a days :lol:

Having said that part the Fury is a classic car that will attract a lot of positive attention

It will go up in value while the jeep will go down...
I personally wouldn't criticize you if you do make the jump
Just make sure video the jump so we can judge the amount of air you get :lol:

It will go up in value while the jeep will go down...

Thats what im thinking too. After Looking at some prices for 68 Furys, i might be able to get 6000, maaaaaybe 7k for it.... depends on the right buyer i think. all the Jeeps i liked were 10k.

jeeps are real turds. rotten frames. broken manifolds, transfer cases, diffs, axles, on and on and on.... if you're going to get one, go down market. pay as little as possible 'cause that's what it's going to be worth. a '78 maybe. something with no top. splash it the mud. bounce it off of trees. hose it out when your done. mudder. notice the picture to the left?

Well, we don't want to take it crazy offroading. Just going on unpaved roads where a 4x4 would be beneficial and we don't have to worry about busting the tranny pan. We went up to an outdoor shooting range recently and weren't quite comfortable driving our car there, got jealous seeing all those jeeps just blasting up the hill with no worries. We played with the thought of getting a Jeep since about 2 to 3 years and..well, having 3 kids always killed it. Now they are getting way more independent as teenagers and we picked up the Jeep though again. Don't get me wrong, I love my fury, but as little as I drive it, it could very well be a more useful vehicle... I have read that a 95 yj would be a good compromise, any thoughts on that?

Going down market, hmm, I saw a pretty nice beat up '53 Wrangler, but that thing had zero of anything.

I never realized that they might be really that crappy. Jeeps seem highly popular here in Oregon, I see them everywhere, so it's hard to imagine that they are so bad. But I take the word for it and the biggest problem seems to be the frame rot. That would be a no-go for me, I dont have a place where I can weld (otherwise I'd be happy to take that on).

Idk how set on a jeep you are, but for a weekend trail rig I'd look into an older small Toyota truck.

A buddy had one a few years back that was pretty much bullet proof. That little bugger would go just about anywhere. We'd drive around the "big" trucks stuck effortlessly.

A little small for me. Bout busted my kneecaps a few times on the dash doing some dukes of hazzard maneuvers lol.

IMG_1506.JPG

Really though in the rust belt I see a lot of frames that rot, there are some nice ones out there though. A friend of mine just sold his Polaris Razor and now is Jeep shopping.

Women love Jeeps... I had a early 1990's Wrangler I liked but sold a year later with no problems. My daughter had a grand Cherokee and what a pain in the a$$. She has a late 90's Cherokee ,,,what a pain in the a$$. My wife insisted on a 2011 ,,,guess what ?
In my book they are all ****.

I'd love a late 60s Toyota FJ40. But that's impossible with a small budget, and here I was thinking selling my fury and looking into an older Porsche.... Lol

I'd love a late 60s Toyota FJ40. But that's impossible with a small budget, and here I was thinking selling my fury and looking into an older Porsche.... Lol

Are you nut's??? There are more Porsche's on the road than were made at the factory. Although higher priced they are everywhere. Just like Camaros and Chevelles and Cuda's ,,etc Why you want to be like them??
You want handling better than an older Porsche with a bit more power get a Miata.

I understand your desire for a sporty car. I have my Fury III when I want to cruise around and I have my modified Omni glhs when I want to scare myself.
You should have both. A Miata is much cheaper and better overall especially parts. After market on anything is abundant for a Miata.

Last edited:
I say keep the Fury. Gas prices, ha! I'll never sell my cars because like you said, I'll never get out of them what I have in them (I've since become a firm believer of buy it "done").

Take the fury offroading. Lol. I had a '91 classic mini, miss the gocart feel like crazy. So yes, sporty car but a Miata???? Ewww!?

I think if I were you, I'd start a conversation about purchasing a jeep on a jeep forum. They will be much more knowledgeable then the folks here. You don't go to a Neurologist for Cardiac care, you don't go to Jeep people for C-Body info and you shouldn't go to C-Body folks for Jeep info. JMO.

As far as selling the Fury, everyone that is a personal decision only you can make. I'm sure you will regret it at times but that's not saying you should or shouldn't, just the reality of selling a classic car.....or buying a classic car. :lol:

Back