Tranny Filters not the same ***HELP***

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
So, I picked up a tranny filter from AZ. Drop the pan and ah what's up with this???
IMG_6032.jpg

I called them and they said that they only show one filter available. It looks like it would mount, but is it going to work correctly?

I believe the two hole version is for pre 65 transmissions - the extra hole feeds the rear pump. As long as your tranny is newer than 65 it shouldn't be an issue since you won't have the second (rear) pump. If you did have the earlier tranny and used the single hole it would starve that pump and cause it to fail.

I believe the two hole version is for pre 65 transmissions - the extra hole feeds the rear pump. As long as your tranny is newer than 65 it shouldn't be an issue since you won't have the second (rear) pump. If you did have the earlier tranny and used the single hole it would starve that pump and cause it to fail.
I just read this earlier today in a link in another thread. Good info

Gary sent me some suggestions on how to make sure someone didn't swap the tranny out with an older one that requires the hole for the rear pump. That was eliminated in the 65 and up trannies.

The old one pictured is likely the original, for whatever reason they were on the small side. All of the several I have changed in the past seven years have been with the larger type. All with no problems. I'm told this improvement offers more filter media surface area thus making it a more effective design.

Back