Tranny Identification

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Is there a quick way to determine if a tranny is pre-64 or post-65. I ask because when I dropped the pan to change fluid and filter the filter is the two hole type that is for pre-64. Is there something external that I can check easily. Think nincompoop, this needs to be simple. A picture of what to look for would be absolutely tremendous.

Thanks, I want to get some miles on this old girl before heading to Carlisle.

A 62 to 64 tranny will have a flange on the output shaft for a trunion to bolt to. Also the 62 to 65 boxes use a cable for gearshift changes not the lever setup used in later boxes.

Agreed with Wolfen, there is a significant difference there with cables. I doubt you'd find a 65-older trans in a 66-up car, as it would be a hassle to retrofit, unless someone had all the parts on hand to do it. And then still not fun if it was a column-shift. and based on the output flange, a 64-older would require a driveshaft swap also.

But sometimes people do crazy things if their back's to the wall.

There is a PK id number on the driver's side pan rail. Type that into Google and 95% of the time it will id the trans for you, unless it coincides with some secret government code in which case when the agents get there just tell them I told you to do it.:confused: I did have a PDF downloaded on my old phone for swap meet/junkyard IDs.

If you get the PK # I can look it up when I have a chance on my old phone..... to keep the govt out of it.:thumbsup:

Dave,
I googled the PK portion of the number and found where someone on another board had the same number. They told him it was a 67/68 C body tranny. yeah. What do the rest of the numbers mean? I looked for a site to decode it so that I could post it here for all, but wasn't successful. They mention that part of it was Julian date, but I'm not remembering from my military days how those work right now.
Thanks

PK2801540J 2259 1128

Julian date is the last digit of the year followed by the day of the year. 7001 is the first day of the year ending with 7, (New Year's Day); 7365 would be New Year's Eve. Of course it doesn't care if it's 1967, 1977, 1987,2017 etc..

PK2801540
Chrysler 67-68 8 440 w/o H/Per

Same for Dodge and Ply. no H/P so its the right trans for your car
I downloaded it from MyMopar.com years ago because the junkyard (Renicks if you know where that is on rt 308) literally has a large pile of torqueflights and no cell signal.

Julian date is the last digit of the year followed by the day of the year. 7001 is the first day of the year ending with 7, (New Year's Day); 7365 would be New Year's Eve. Of course it doesn't care if it's 1967, 1977, 1987,2017 etc..

Thanks for jogging the memory. With that said the two sets of 4 digit numbers are not Julian dates for 1967 or 1968.

Dave,
Thanks for the info it jives with what I found on the other forum. I live just a few miles from the north end of RT 308, but I'm not sure of Renick's.

Back