Tranny leaks finally fixed

crazyboutwagons

Reaction score
I have finally gotten the leaks fixed in the tranny after sitting for a week I looked under the car tonight when I got home from work and the cardboard under the tranny was bone dry. I am so happy that what I had done last week worked. here is what the shop did.

1) Replace the selector shaft seal (special tool purchased on e-bay per advice from this site)

2)Replaced the pan gasket with the heavy duty diesel formed plastic one. (also recommended by this site)

3) Replaced tranny cooler lines with new ones bought on E-bay from Vans Auto Parts they had to be re bent a bit though to fit.

4)Replaced rear shaft seal (driveshaft yoke)

5) Replaced dipstick seal.

6) Replaced the speedometer cable seal

Took the shop a day and half to complete but well worth the cost. I was putting a quart in car every time I took out was getting to be a real pain.

The info I got from all you guys on here was great. I just waned to say thanks.

I bought all the parts except the pan gasket from Rockauto for like $20.00 and I bought 2 of each just incase of future leaks. Hope I never need hem.

bought it from American_Transmissions on E-Bay part # KD-2392 price $25.00 actually its two tools one screws into the tranny and pulls the seal out and the other you use to drive the seal in. I was frustrated by the leaks. I had thought about having the tranny. I am glad I went in this direction first.

I did the same thing all from suggestions here and had a bone dry tranny too. This place is the best, I learn something new nearly every day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Shift-Lever-Seal-Remover-Installer-1960-2002-LIKE-T-1031-A-KD-2392-/131502819495?hash=item1e9e2dc8a7:g:xU4AAOSwNSxU2k2l&item=131502819495&vxp=mtr

s-l1600QK55ULCT.jpg

s-l1600QK55ULCT.jpg

That is the tool my mechanic used. as for part numbers I have to look for the receipt from Rockauto. I went on their website and just ordered all the seals listed that I wanted to replace. I had to get the rear seal were the driveshaft goes into the tranny locally from Autozone as they did not list one. It was $6.99 the other were like $10.00 for all.

That is the tool my mechanic used. as for part numbers I have to look for the receipt from Rockauto. I went on their website and just ordered all the seals listed that I wanted to replace. I had to get the rear seal were the driveshaft goes into the tranny locally from Autozone as they did not list one. It was $6.99 the other were like $10.00 for all.

Its amazing how much a few well spent dollars can do to help you love your car even more... thanks for posting this, as said above... it is nice to hear the success stories.

Its amazing how much a few well spent dollars can do to help you love your car even more... thanks for posting this, as said above... it is nice to hear the success stories.

J don't you ever sleep? I thought I was a late night lurker ...:icon_santa:

Funny how my local tranny shop can throw a 98¢ gasket up there and have it bone dry for the next 100k miles. Lol.

Back