Tranny situation - weird and does not bode well.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Here's something I'ver never seen before and I suspect no good is going to come of this.

Went to do a total tranny flush. You know the procedure.
Disconnect two lines at radiator, hoses to 5 gal pails, suck & drain, etc....

Started it up, put it into drive and.........
Tranny fluid rushed out of what is supposed to be the RETURN line.
On what is supposed to be the high pressure line: NOTHING. No draw, no drain. Nothing.

WTF. :rant: I'm stumped.

Are you sure you don't have the pressure and return lines confused? Are you talking about a front pump only 727
?There won't be any draw from the return line, it is simply and entry point at the back of the trans.

Are you sure you don't have the pressure and return lines confused? Are you talking about a front pump only 727
?There won't be any draw from the return line, it is simply and entry point at the back of the trans.
As you face the side of the tranny with the plumbing, the left fitting is the high pressure line and the right fitting is the return line, right?
That's interesting that there is no draw on the return line. Sounds plausible.
Anyway, I dropped the pan and the filter was - cough! cough! - CLOGGED! Evidently that pan hasn't been dropped in 38 years.
I cleaned everything up, put in a new filter of course, and I'll bolt it back up as soon as the paint dries on the pan, and fill with fresh fluid.
It was running fine. No reason why it won't continue to I guess.

As you face the side of the tranny with the plumbing, the left fitting is the high pressure line and the right fitting is the return line, right?

Yes. The pressure line is in front of and above the shift linkage, and the return is near where the case meets the tailshaft housing

Yes. The pressure line is in front of and above the shift linkage, and the return is near where the case meets the tailshaft housing
Well, then I was right then when I said the tranny fluid came out of the return line when I started it.
So, I dunno....

BTW, I came across this; funny as hell. Dick is a Dick....

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the cooler lines go behind an engine mount or over a crossmember or anywhere that you can't see them to get a good view of them? They must be crossed over each other somewhere.:)
Any trannies that I've worked on including 727, FMX and some other Fords have all had the pressure line closest to the pump. I've never worked on a GM so I don't know about them.
Enjoyed the video!

Being a true WTF scenario, I quadrippled checked. The fluid was pushed out the return line. No ifs, ands, nor buts about it. Now thinking about it and studying a 727 fluid flow diagram, it's likely the badly clogged filter.

<Sent from my A110 using Forum Runner>

Some people may disagree.........I change filter and fluid annually.

Attaboy. The most neglected maintenance item of all time besides hood release cables.

Horn fluid every 440 days, regardless of the outside temperature. Muffler bearing twice a year, and the Canarly valve every leap year.

I replace all my fluids as they leak out.

Attaboy. The most neglected maintenance item of all time besides hood release cables.

I usually even throw out the brake hoses ca. every 7 years as they tend to close the passages.
I change my horn fluid every week or so.

Horn fluid every 440 days, regardless of the outside temperature. Muffler bearing twice a year, and the Canarly valve every leap year.

How often would you replace/adjust the wobble-later bars?

Muffler bearing twice a year...
That can get expensive.

20r43eb.jpg

That's interesting that there is no draw on the return line. Sounds plausible.
Anyway, I dropped the pan and the filter was - cough! cough! - CLOGGED! Evidently that pan hasn't been dropped in 38 years.
I cleaned everything up, put in a new filter of course, and I'll bolt it back up as soon as the paint dries on the pan, and fill with fresh fluid.
It was running fine. No reason why it won't continue to I guess.

Definitely the clogged filter is the issue ...I had this with my 74 4dr when I was looking at buying it. Filter had never been changed and interreupted the fluid flow to the point where the car wouldn't shift. After the fluid & filter swap, worked like a dream and has been fine for the last 23 years.

Stan, I'm real surprised that you would allow your filter to become clogged. I swear I'm not poking at you. I am truly surprised.

Stan, I'm real surprised that you would allow your filter to become clogged. I swear I'm not poking at you. I am truly surprised.
I only bought the car less than 13 hundred miles ago. The previous 74 thou since new was all done by the original owner.
I've been going through my car one item at a time from bumper to bumper. New u-joints and a differential cover gasket and the car will litteraly be brand new mechanically. I would drive this car cross country and back without a second thought.

Last edited:
Back