Tranny upgrade

EL ROHO

Reaction score
Need a little help from the masses. Wanting to upgrade my old worn out 833 to a 5spd. Does anyone know a 5spd. tranny that will bolt up to my 1966 383 without a lot of modifications ???

Nope. They (the ones that could live with the level of torque and weight of the car)are all a much different design and will require at minimum floor modifications, potentially crossmember modifications in many instances too. Nothing is bolt in. But - you can either find an A833OD, or the Passon OD and bolt that in.

One of our former Mopar club members used his '70 Road Runner as "the mule" to prototype the Keisler 5-speed kit back when. What might be different between a B and C-body in that respect? The original car was a 4-speed, though.

CBODY67

put an OD 833 in my '69 newport. hate it. gear to gear ratios are too far apart. every time i have to drive it in stop and go traffic i wish i had left it a/t.

There's not too much difference between B and C when it comes to a late model 5-speed. The C will probably need more work because the trans is huge, and the trans cross member is bigger on those cars.
While I prefer a 4sp in other models - for C bodies I'd rather have an auto for myself. I'm pretty hard on my cars and I'd break too much stuff with the manual in a C body.

Back