Transmission - finally oil tight

Xlratr

Reaction score
I had a very annoying leak from the transmission last year and when I had Clarissa in for new tyres I asked the guy in the shop to install a silicon gasket for the oil pan. The result was that I still had an annoying leak.
So, in the hope that that might be due to a pan that isn't straight (I didn't ask the guy to take a look at it at the time :-( ) I went
8B0506BA-2070-442F-9F20-D57631691663.jpeg
A522A059-95F3-4A3D-ABAF-E2121550E1EF.jpeg
ahead and bought an aluminum one with 3,5 qt more volume. I bought a big plastic tray and got down to installing it today.
Fits perfect, has an extension for the filter, looks good and most important of all..... it's oil tight! And I have a drain plug!! I'm a happy chap, so I thought I'd share that with you guys.
Oh, and when I put a straight edge along the "sealing" surface of the original pan, it became obvious why it would never be oil tight!!!

I had a very annoying leak from the transmission last year and when I had Clarissa in for new tyres I asked the guy in the shop to install a silicon gasket for the oil pan. The result was that I still had an annoying leak.
So, in the hope that that might be due to a pan that isn't straight (I didn't ask the guy to take a look at it at the time :-( ) I went View attachment 304506 View attachment 304507 ahead and bought an aluminum one with 3,5 qt more volume. I bought a big plastic tray and got down to installing it today.
Fits perfect, has an extension for the filter, looks good and most important of all..... it's oil tight! And I have a drain plug!! I'm a happy chap, so I thought I'd share that with you guys.
Oh, and when I put a straight edge along the "sealing" surface of the original pan, it became obvious why it would never be oil tight!!!

Sometimes they get bent going high center, but most of the time people with gorilla arms over tighten the pan bolts and dimple the bolt holes. That will cause a leak every time since the gasket will not properly seat.

Dave

Sometimes they get bent going high center, but most of the time people with gorilla arms over tighten the pan bolts and dimple the bolt holes. That will cause a leak every time since the gasket will not properly seat.

Dave
"Gorilla Arms" LOL, I will use that in the future!

Back