Transmission issue 65 Fury III

CustomDave

Reaction score
Yesterday after a long wait I finally got the tags for my Fury back from the state. First thing I did was take it out on the highway and my worst fear was confirmed. The car would not go into third gear.

First things first, this is a 1965 Fury III with the original poly 318 and original 727 torqueflight. At least that is what the guy I bought it from said, I never checked the numbers. I have driven it around the neighborhood a lot and never had a problem. I have noticed that the gear selection needle is usually a bit off. (it shows neutral when going into reverse, etc.) Also I have noticed that on occasion it goes from reverse straight to drive. Although after it is in drive if you shift up neutral is sometimes there. Last night was her first voyage on to the highway since I have owned it. And like I said it wouldn't go into third. However I met up with a friend and took him for a ride and I got on it a bit geeting on to the highway to show him the problem and it shifted into 3rd just fine. But it was only that one time, I couldn't get it to happen again.

The tranny fluid seems to be nice and red and doesn't look dirty or anything. It looks like it might be overfilled, but I had to check it in park, as Neutral isn't always there. I have heard that checking these in park gives a bad read as the torque converter doesn't fill with fluid.

The car seems to shift smooth, there is a bit of a clunk in the rear when you first put it in gear but I assume that is just a u joint starting to show its age. And it isn't any worse than any of the older trucks I have had. On one occasion it did want to slip out of gear when coming off of a stop light but I had been playing around with the gear shift trying to see if I just wasn't getting it in the right spot.

Looking under the car I did notice that there is an opening at the bottom of the tranny housing where you can see the flywheel. Is this normal? I doubt it has anything to do with this problem, thought I would mention it just in case.

I don't see any leaks from the tranny. Several small oil leaks but nothing else that I can find.

I am thinking that the linkage may be off somehow, but before I attempt my first transmission repair I figured I would ask the experts.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Just because the gear indicator is in "D" doesn't mean the transmission is in Drive.
When pulling up and down the lever, can you positively feel the three separate detents for L, 2, and D?
Checking the fluid level in Park or Neutral - makes ZERO difference.
The big problem is you can't find Neutral. Plus the fact that you know it will go into third because it did, albeit once.
Adds credence to the shifter linkage theory.
That's a start. You have to start there before going to step 2. Otherwise you're shooting arrows in the dark.
but I'm never optimistic about any 45 year old Torqueflite.

Last edited:
Well then why do they suggest you check it while in neutral Stan?

The opening is normal to see the converter. There should be a "plate" bolted to the cover but yours seems to be missing, no big deal.

Yours will go into reverse right from drive?

If your not sure if your hitting drive, why don't you pull the lever all the way down to first take your foot of the brake, feel it roll. Then, brake again and slide it up one "detent" (as Stan put it) to second then take your foot off and feel it roll. Stop the car again and slide it up one more to third. That is of course if your unsure if your in "drive".

Sounds like you should have it looked at before things go from bad to worse.

Check that the kick down linkage isnt binding on anything, I put Mopar performance tappit covers on my 383 and the K/D linkage was only just catching on the rear corner of the cover essentially holding in second gear insted of letting it drop into third. two secs with a file sorted it out

:waiting:........................I'm thinking it says it on the stick and in the manual. :eusa_think:

Pfffftttt.......
You're gonna try and make be believe that there is more of a difference between Park and Neutral than just the parking brake pawl being engaged? I ain't buying it. Uh-uh. Nope.

If I shift it all the way down to low and come back up it shifts into all positions normally, with the exception of neutral, which is sometimes reverse.

It does shift into third on the highway now, just not in the city. I think it could be that I am just not used to an automatic without overdrive. Still new to a lot of this stuff.

My next question would be on adjusting the linkage. It says with someone in the car holding the shifter in the low position, to unbolt the cable at the transmission and pull it out about 2 lbs. I can't say that I exactly know what the 2 lbs is supposed to mean. I am guessing 2 lbs of force but how am I supposed to measure that? The rest of it seems like it is pretty east but the 2 lbs thing is kinda holding me up.

Or should I start with adjusting it at the column somehow. Have not read up on that end yet.

Thanks again for any help, I appreciate it!

65 Fury, hmmm, I don't know how much changed through the following six years. Which is what I am familiar with...

Back