Transmission Question

Wildaugust

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has used Lucas "Transmission Fix", this stuff,
0004980710009_500X500.jpg

in a late model electronic controlled transmission? If so, what was the result?

I have used it in older transmissions like 727's and FMX's and it did help, but I'm particularly wondering about using it in transmissions made within the past ten years, or so.

It depends on the problem....not much help if the friction material on the clutches are gone.

If you have to use an additive to remedy any situation ( leaking rear seal, slipping tranny, oil pressure loss, noisey lifters or a leaking cooling system ) let's face it, maintenance is required because these are temporary fixes, if they work at all. Some of these additives are non destructive at best and "snake oil" at worse. Ask yourself, "Why didn't the manufacturer use these if they are so great?". Remember STP in the late 50's and 60's. If Richard Petty endorsed it, it HAD to be good, at least for sales.

If you have to use an additive to remedy any situation ( leaking rear seal, slipping tranny, oil pressure loss, noisey lifters or a leaking cooling system ) let's face it, maintenance is required because these are temporary fixes, if they work at all. Some of these additives are non destructive at best and "snake oil" at worse. Ask yourself, "Why didn't the manufacturer use these if they are so great?". Remember STP in the late 50's and 60's. If Richard Petty endorsed it, it HAD to be good, at least for sales.

Right after we got married, I bought a '46 Ford Tudor from a friend for $50.00. We had no other wheels at all. It was a six cylinder, and the rods rattled. About once a month, we would take a trip from DC to PA to see my wife's mom. Before we would leave, I'd throw two cans of STP in it, and the rods would quiet down until we topped the last mountain. I took it easy on the car during the weekend; then I'd throw two more cans of STP in it for the trip home. We drove that car for most of a year, until I put a used 283 in it using a motor mount and trans adapter kit I bought from Honest Charlie (Hisself) - but thats another story. . .

There is no such thing as "Repair" in a bottle.
I wish the FTC would clamp down on these stupid labeling practices.
But then again, it would be easier to teach common sense in schools.

Lung Repair Kit:
Take 2 pkgs. a day for 20 years.
cigarette%20pack.jpeg

Also guaranteed to provide you with prime parking spots in front of any establishment at my wife's expense.

I don't believe in any of the mechanic in a bottle additives ether. There some that work.... but no where near what the results they give say...

Ture story, saw it with my own eyes. My fater has a buddy that runs a repair shop, an actual good honest mechanic if they exist. Anyway he had a 302 (this is years ago) out of a ford wagon of some sort as the customer broght it is as the motor seized. The motor was out and on an engine stand. He asked my father and I what we thought of the motor stitting on the stand. When I walked over to it I asked why they heck it had a plastic oil pan on it. It wasnt!!! The guy had dumped so many different "repairs" in a bottle they reacted toeach other and turned hard, perfect shape of the removed oil pan. Thats when I learned if you need that stuff it probably wont work.

I've actually had good experience with the lucas trans stuff. Obviously not a repair but worked for me.

I took the blumo to chicago back in 2011. Got all the way there to notice I was dumping trans fluid like no tomarrow. My whole rear end was covered in fluid, as well as the front of my buddies car. Not having and $$ or parts to repair I threw a couple bottles in. That stuff worked for 2 years!! I even drove her down on the move here to FL with no problems. Eventually she started seeping again. Turned out to be a crack on the hub of the torque convertor. Don't know how but it worked.

it depends. it works great on some and not on others. my brother had a 92 chevy pickup with a slipping trans. got another two years out of it. tried it in my chrysler mini van. made for hard shifting.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I think my trans is just plain worn out. :( It's slipping in all gears and I can smell burnt clutches sometimes. If I can take it real easy, it doesn't seem to slip too badly. Anyway, rebuilding it or replacing it is out of the question right now, so I'm trying to squeeze another three or four months out of it. The reason I asked about late model trannies is because the Lucas additive has a very fine powder in it and I'm concerned that it may clog up the little screens in the solenoid pack.

Yeah. :(

I need to get another 3 or 4 months out of it. I average around 250 - 300 miles per month, so, I guess we'll see.

OK, Thanks again guys :)

Back