Transmission rebuilder needed

Pops62

Reaction score
I am going to install a1968 440 into my 1062 dodge 880 and want to keep the pusbutton transmission

I am also going to install a challenger reared

Why you ask?
The 440 is rebuilt and it’s running on a stand
(The motor in the car is not original)

The rear is a 489 poi’s and I have it
I am going to have to replace the rear springs so everything will be out of the car and this will allow me to have emergency brakes

I wanted to let you guys know what my intentions are before.i ask my questions

Who would I contact to rebuild the transmission that can do the following

Allow the transmission to work with the latter motor and converter
Use the original shift cables and push buttons
Bolt into same tranny location
Should I change the tail shaft to accept a slip yoke or keep the rear drum setup off the rear of trans
Planned on running a tranny cooler

Thanks for your input and advise

I hate assuming things but I am guessing you already have a big block in the car, Yes? From my knowledge, Big Block TFs fit all big blocks. If it is a big block and you are using a push button trans already you don’t need to change the trans. I am told that you should replace the front pump with the ’67 and newer which means you need a ’67 and newer converter. If you still use the Detroit U-Joint you can take the brake drum off and install a regular flange from a ’62 –’64 non-drum car. ’62 was the last year for the brake drum. If you want to do the slip spline the ’65 TF still is a cable shift with the slip spline. ’64 was the last year for the Detroit U-Joint. As far as a cooler is concerned you just need to tap into your existing lines. If you still have the inline trans filter take it out. If it clogs up your trans will push ATF out the converter seal faster than you can pour it in.

With the E-Body diff are you going to disc brakes or keeping drums? One of the modifications for drums is to use Imperial axles and 11x3 drums.

I live in the Philadelphia area and I am lucky. I set up at the Carlisle Chrysler show and the guy next to me knows how to build my Max’s trans to Hemi specs and he is only 20 miles from me. Max had the inline filter and it was clogged and the pressure was bypassing right out the converter seal and burned the Drive clutches. Or that's what I think.

I hate assuming things but I am guessing you already have a big block in the car, Yes? From my knowledge, Big Block TFs fit all big blocks. If it is a big block and you are using a push button trans already you don’t need to change the trans. I am told that you should replace the front pump with the ’67 and newer which means you need a ’67 and newer converter. If you still use the Detroit U-Joint you can take the brake drum off and install a regular flange from a ’62 –’64 non-drum car. ’62 was the last year for the brake drum. If you want to do the slip spline the ’65 TF still is a cable shift with the slip spline. ’64 was the last year for the Detroit U-Joint. As far as a cooler is concerned you just need to tap into your existing lines. If you still have the inline trans filter take it out. If it clogs up your trans will push ATF out the converter seal faster than you can pour it in.

With the E-Body diff are you going to disc brakes or keeping drums? One of the modifications for drums is to use Imperial axles and 11x3 drums.

I live in the Philadelphia area and I am lucky. I set up at the Carlisle Chrysler show and the guy next to me knows how to build my Max’s trans to Hemi specs and he is only 20 miles from me. Max had the inline filter and it was clogged and the pressure was bypassing right out the converter seal and burned the Drive clutches. Or that's what I think.

Thanks for the info
Yes the car had a 361 originally
I want to keep the push button setup
I want to go to disc up front when I can I will check the rear brakes it’s apart. And I can’t get close to it yet
I lost the lower part of my left leg late last year so for now I’m a little limited
I am going to try to get the car solid and closed up (floor pans) get the drive train in place and use it while fix up the body
I would have never done it that way but the rules for me have changed
Thanks for your help

Of you would be able to private message me I have a few questions for you thanks for your time and help

Of you would be able to private message me I have a few questions for you thanks for your time and help

It might speed things up for you if you go ahead and PM him.

Click his username in the post above, then select start private conversation.

Good luck with the car

Thanks I am not good at this I have tried to pm a couple times and I get error message
It might speed things up for you if you go ahead and PM him.

Click his username in the post above, then select start private conversation.

Good luck with the car
for the

Back