Transmission Selector Issues

Engine, Transmission & Driveline

1. Snotty

Snotty Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Hey all, of the last several months I've been experiencing an interesting issue: my starter often does not want to turn while in "Park." I put the key in, turn, and nothing. Acts like a bad battery. I put it in "Neutral" and viola!

Now it's becoming common that if this happens, even while in Neutral I need to jiggle the shift a little, then it will fire.

So, what is wearing out? Or, is there an adjustment I need to look at?

Thoughts? IMG_2941.JPG

2. rkrochen

rkrochen Active Member

I would check the neutral safety switch.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg

With that being said, with the shift lever in park. Take your left hand and lift up on the lever and try to start it. Does it fire? If so then the NSS isn't adjusted correctly, or it's on it's last legs. Good Luck

4. MrMoparCHP

MrMoparCHP Senior Member

Switch is fine otherwise it wouldn't start in neutral either, just needs adjusting, maybe a 1/16"-1/8"

Alan

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. CBODY67

CBODY67 Senior Member

Seems like there is an undercar adjustment for two shift linkage rods. The main rod coming from the steering column meets another rod with bolt that is in the rod the column rod slides into. Adjust there, I believe.

There is a gate in the steering column that controls the detents for the shift lever. Inside the trans, on the shift shaft rod which the external linkage hooks to, is another "gate" with a spring-loaded ball bearing that indexes with it. Everything should work in harmony, as they say. Adjustment procedure is in the FSM.

NSS screws into the outer trans case. Drain fluid FIRST before trying to replace it, or have a drain pan handy, plus some absorbent rags and brake clean to clean things up with.

Let us know what you find.

Fords were famous for the "pull the shift lever up, when in Park, to start the engine" back then. Usually NOT something which afflicted Mopars.

CBODY67

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Snotty

I'll check the linkage.

I gave thought to the neutral safety switch, but it seems to be clearly working. The problem is it does not seem to know what gear I am in.

Thanks all.

7. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by that? Are you saying that you can start it in R, or D, or what? Explain.

8. Snotty

No, it will not start in Park, and often even in Neutral. When it won't turn over in neutral I have to jiggle the stalk; then it will.

9. thrashingcows

thrashingcows Senior Member

I would remove all your linkage, clean and repair as necessary and then lube and re-install. As mentioned it is only old worn and now misadjusted linkage.

10. rkrochen

rkrochen Active Member

There is a very easy way to diagnose this. Disconnect the linkage at the transmission lever. With it in park try to start it. If it works it’s a linkage problem if it doesn’t it’s the switch.