Transmission troubles

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
I suppose I'll start from the very day I went to inspect the car 71 Newport 383, 727, 8 3/4. Listed as a running parts car for a thousand bucks, I went right off and brought her back. That was more than two years ago and 9000 miles anyway, ever since that first day it has been one of those cars that sometimes won't start in Park but will in Neutral. Being a rusty "parts car" I didn't address the issue as it only occurred every once in a while. Recently when the ignition lock spilled its guts I decided to do the switch as well since I was opening up the column, and always suspected it was behind this Park/Neutral thing. Well, way worse, I'm certain I reinstalled everything correctly, however now it will only start in neutral and the transmission fails to go into park. Luckily the E brake works well. What the heck did I do? Thanks in advance for any ideas

Nuetral safety switch is on the transmission along with park. You need to adjust the linkage, adjuster block is on the downleg rod from steering column lever to bellcrank, by frame rail. loosen the set bolt on adjuster and move it so the lever on the trans is all the way forward.

I skipped the bushing because it is a red flag, and a 71, should still be small holes and cotter pins.

Nuetral safety switch is on the transmission along with park. You need to adjust the linkage, adjuster block is on the downleg rod from steering column lever to bellcrank, by frame rail. loosen the set bolt on adjuster and move it so the lever on the trans is all the way forward.
Thank you very much for the extremely fast and clear explanation. I can't wait to get to this adjustment this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

X2. I have experienced this myself. It is merely an issue of adjustment.

I had a bushing in the linage go bad that caused the same problem years ago.
Was it by chance this bushing? It's toast. Until I can get my hands on a new one I just split a piece of rubber hose lengthwise and secured with a couple zip ties. Works well but not 100% Knowing this car I wouldn't doubt it also needs an adjustment. Thanks again for the advice and sorry for the sideways pics.
WP_20151207_16_52_49_Pro.jpgWP_20151207_17_05_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20151207_16_52_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20151207_17_05_51_Pro.jpg

It looks like your linkage needs some work and if that doesn't fix it adjust the second gear band. Something very easy to do and when out of adjustment creates the same problems. Samething happened on my van only the wedge at the end of the bolt fell out and it wouldn't shift from second to third without letting off the gas, then you have to drop the pan and valvebody to reinstall.

got a 1/2 bolt that bolts to the case under this tang. be careful this bolt is bad for breaking off in the case. if you can don't mess or try to take out when fixing bushing.if have to look for this when you put a early model case or trannie in a late mod. car. there is no place to bolt this bracket too

Back