Transmission

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well just an update. This car assumes i have lots of money because i try to buy the best stuff. Lately its trying to break me.

Finally got all my windows working and put the seats back in. Went for a 20 mile ride. Besides having to manually kick down the high idle, it was great!

Got back to the house, went from drive to reverse and i thought the trans was gonna fall out. Im hoping its kust the flex plate, but im done gor today.

Well just an update. This car assumes i have lots of money because i try to buy the best stuff. Lately its trying to break me.

Finally got all my windows working and put the seats back in. Went for a 20 mile ride. Besides having to manually kick down the high idle, it was great!

Got back to the house, went from drive to reverse and i thought the trans was gonna fall out. Im hoping its kust the flex plate, but im done gor today.
Sorry to hear. Did it sound like flex plate or mounting bolts broke?

It's funny, but a sounds from the rear can travel up the driveshaft and make you think the problem is the transmission. Had that happen to us in the Gremlin.

It's funny, but a sounds from the rear can travel up the driveshaft and make you think the problem is the transmission. Had that happen to us in the Gremlin.
I just got the diff out and didnt find any metal, but he was under the car and heard it, so im pulling the pinion next

what damage do you expect to find. broken teeth you should have seen already. bad bearings would be evident by feel.
Runs good forward and reverse. Change gears from forward to reverse while adding fluid and sounds like everything is floating around inside housing and banging on each other.

what damage do you expect to find. broken teeth you should have seen already. bad bearings would be evident by feel.
Dont know. Noise seem to come from rear. I dont know a lot about transmissions but maybe its torque converter.

My rear is a 2.76 and everything looks perfect. Took out axle bearing and adjusters and didnt take pumpkin apart. Replacing seals and gasket.
Needle fitting works best for me to lube axle bearings, but lube and seals won't fix your noise.
I think the noise transitioned from the transmission along the driveshaft.
20190430_131329-left-side-jpg.jpg

sounds like everything is floating around inside housing and banging on each other.
I just got the diff out and didnt find any metal,
Took out axle bearing and adjusters and didnt take pumpkin apart.
sounds like everything is floating around inside housing and banging on each other. inside the diff. housing? so you got the diff. out and didn't find any metal but didn't take the pumpkin apart. so the pumpkin is out just not apart? if the noises you heard were coming from the diff., you very likely would have found an issue already by just by having pulled the diff. (pumpkin) out. my first guess would have been bad spiders but again they are clearly seen with the diff. out. have a transmission funnel? stick in the dipstick tube and listen into it like the end of a trumpet while the noises are happening.

Back